Moved the tank...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MikeS

I moved the tank today...fun... :lol:

Since it is a temporary setup until I get the larger tank, I elected to go BB...yes, that's right, the Sandman is now the proud owner of a BB system... :doubt: :lol:

I was suprised how clean the sand was for a 5 year old DSB. Very little detritus at all in there, no hydorgen sulfide smell (no bad smells at all actually)...no cementing either. The sand was, however, very tightly compact...I'd imagine there wasn't much diffusion happening down there...

I have a few concerns with my new BB system...I have a large t Derasa...will he be ok on the bottom of the bare tank, or does he absolutely need some sort of substrate to sit on?

MikeS

Mike, muyst have been raining in Wyoming to, huh?????
I think your clams will be fine, no personal experience, but I have seen a few BB tanks with alot of clams, you shouldn't have any problems.

Congrats on the move! I think maybe the smell of your sandbed was so strong it burned the smelling ability out of your nose ;). Glad to hear things went well. Do you have your circulation positioned to keep the detritus in suspension, or blow it into the corner for easy siphon? On the Derasa....it will attach to the bare bottom. I just helped Maxx/Nick move his tank yesterday, and his Derasa was attached to the BB....he just used a razor blade to carefully get it off.

The derasa is open and seems to be doing well....hope it stays that way...lol....only one problem I have noticed so far with him. He's pretty big (larger than a football now) and when he jets or opens/closes, he rocks back and forth on the bare bottom, which seems to freak him out, and then slams shut...I may have to move a rock or two to anchor hin in place a bit...

As for the avatar, I'll keep it for now, the BB is temporary until I get the larger tank, then I'm doing the crushed LR/plenum setup....it's hard getting used to looking at the tank with no sand....weird... :lol: ...but who knows? maybe this will work out and I'll keep it this way... :lol:

MikeS

Back