Movin’ on up (on the East Side) to a 375g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stalefish

Hi – you all don’t know me (although I chatted very briefly with a few of you at the last couple of PSAS meetings), but I almost feel like I know so many of you from reading all of your posts on RF. My name’s Don, I live in Sammamish, WA, and against the sound advice of many (all non-aquarium types), I’ve into reefkeeping.

I’m still fairly new at this - I’ve been running a 100ish gallon tank for about 2 years now and after what is a ridiculously short period of time with my first tank that was supposed to last forever, I’m upgrading – this hobby is definitely a disease.

So now it’s my turn to have Jason at Clear Fabrications build me my dream tank! The dimensions are going to be 96x30x30 with a wood stand (also to be obtained through CF). I was toying with going wider, but after reading Joe’s Wet Dream (lots of fun explaining to the wife exactly what I was reading on the Internet late at night!) I measured the width of my door and found that it’s about 32” – so I’m pretty much at maximum width.

I started off trying to cut some corners to keep the cost down – things like shoe-horning in as much of my current equipment as possible, but as my discussions (yes, plural) with Jason progressed, I realized that if I was going to do something this big, I needed to do it right, otherwise I was probably just causing myself extra cost, regret and maybe grief in the long run.

Jason’s reputation for quality is what attracted me to him in the first place, but it’s his willingness to spend a lot of time with me in designing the whole system – not just a tank that’s really impressed me the most so far. He’s been nothing but patient with me and I’ve driven out to his place quite a few times now and spent many hours designing this tank – he’s probably starting to prefer clients that are a little farther away from him than 20 minutes at this point!

I’m sorry that this post is long on text and short on pictures, but I just wrote my first check for this a few days ago and we’re just now entering the ordering phase.

My existing tank is a 60x18x24 flat-back hex (hence the 100ish gallons) and although I love the look of that tank, I was thinking for a bigger tank, I’d go with a more traditional rectangular size.

The new one is going to go downstairs in my finished basement on a concrete slab – so no worries about weight. The room is partially underground and stays pretty cool down there even in the summer. My current tank has added a little bit of heat, but actually makes the room more comfortable as it used to be a little on the cold side.

My old tank lighting consisted of two 24” Solaris LED’s– and although I dearly love those lights, going LED on a tank this size is just too expensive.

Jason’s designed the top of the tank so I’ll have two huge access hatches with a largish center brace. I’m going to put four 250 watt metal halides across the top (they won’t be over the acrylic) and then sit one of my LED’s on the acrylic center piece to get some center light.

The reason for the 250’s is heat and power and mostly heat – I really don’t want to have to run a chiller if I can help it. Jason and I discussed and he counseled that if I’m good about coral placement, I can get away with 250’s in a 30” deep tank and that there is a big differnence in heat and power consumption between the 250’s and 400’s. I’ve got no experience with MH’s, though. I’m thinking that lights are fairly easy (maybe not cheap, but easy) to swap out later on – it’s not like changing the plumbing.

The canopy will top out about 6” below the ceiling (it’s going beneath a heating duct) so no opportunities (temptations?) to go with a lift system. Jason’s designing the canopy to have not just doors, but also to be able to remove the front 1/3 for tank access. The lights will be on a track so I can push them to the back for more access room. We’re going to put a gasket around the edge of the canopy so that any water spill on top of the tank mostly stays on top where it can evaporate or be mopped up and not dribble down the outside of the tank.

Flow will be achieved by two closed loop systems out of the bottom of the tank and two Wavy Seas on top for the return. Skimmer is a BK Supermarin 250.

I’ve got some live rock ordered through Clear Fabrications and the current arrival time frame is roughly middle-end of March.

Since we all love pics so much, here’s a couple of mediocre/bad pics of my current system and a close up of my Picasso pair and their rose BTA. I got the clowns as juveniles and although it took them over a year, but they finally moved into the anenomes.

On my current tank, I was originally going with a Deep Sand bed and ended up with a deep-ish sandbed. It kind of settled over time and the current in the tank created a bare spot. I covered that with small rubble, but the sand keeps shifting (with some help from my pistol shrimp) so it’s deep in some areas, shallow and others and a bit in between.

For my new tank I’m planning a shallow sand bed – to me a tank needs sand in the bottom, so no BB for me. Jason’s planning the stand lip will be a bit higher than the sand so I can run my cleaning magnet all the way down without getting it into the sand and therefore hopefully minimize scratching opportunities.

My current fish are a foxface rabbitfish, a purple tang (these two are almost like buddies, they hang out in the same part of the tank all the time), the two picasso’s, a melanarus wrasse, some bar gobies, a couple of anthias, and some chromis’. Oh, and I was fishing a bar goby out of the overflow and found my yellow watchman goby. He disappeared a month or so ago on me and I looked in the overflow several times for him (and on the floor behind the tank) but couldn’t find him. But when I went after the bar goby, I noticed he was watchman was in there as well. He’s now a white watchman goby, so hopefully he’ll be ok. The tank is very peaceful and I’d like to keep it that way, but it’ll be a challenge since I’ve got so many more fish options with a much bigger system.

Almost all the corals are LPS. My rabbitfish finds xenias to be very tasty and has also developed a little fondness for zoo’s. My new tank I’m planning to go SPS up higher in the water column and LPS lower.

Well that’s all I’ve got at the moment. I started this upgrade process with equal parts excitement and terror, but thanks to all the planning and discussions with Jason, I got it down to only about 25% terror. Then I decided, hey, I’m not a plumber – I can do it, but it takes forever and it’s kind of mediocre. So now CF is going to do all the plumbing and install and I can focus on more fun things like aquscaping. That’s reduced the terror to below 10%. So the biggest problem now is just w-a-i-t-i-n-g. A character building opportunity.

I’ll post more updates and pictures as we move along in the process.

-Don

welcome! yay more peeps on the eastside :D look forward to the progression of this thread.

Okay, let's get a little bit more action going here! Almost all of the parts are in and Jason's starting to build the tank now. He promises me it'll be done this Sunday!!! Yeah, right, don't I wish.

So here's a pic of my Jakarta live rock that I'm curing. This is an 11x5 foot "Family Swim Center" from Toys 'R Us - $39.99. Believe it or not - they actually have a 14 month service plan on these things for a mere $5 -and that's not an April Fool's joke either. They weren't sure if live rock damage was covered, so I didnt' get it!

I wanted something big so that I could lay the rock out and practice stacking it when the time comes - I think it'll help with aquascaping. And of course I wanted something cheap and I needed it quick, so $39.99 seemed to fit the bill.

I put down a sheet of egg crating to place my heaters on so they wouldn't melt through the pool bottom. The bucket in the middle is weighted down with water and provided a solid surface to mount the circulation pumps onto.

So since I didn't have enough to do managing all of the (mostly) un-automated holding tanks for my livestock and the rock curing facility, I picked up a peacock mantis that Blue Sierra had (btw, whoever bought that blue-ringed octopus is far braver than I).

My wife was a little hesitant about the mantis, but after the 3 foot worm incident, she decided that this little critter wasn't so bad after all. She even fed it tonight while I was out pestering Jason.

And while I was out at Clear Fabrications world headquarters, I got some pics of the equipment we've gotten in so far and will be posting shots of that soon, plus some pics of the tank as it progresses.

So here's a pic of my little cutie and her hammers peeking out of her cave - I've named her Hepzibah, and no, she's not going in my new tank - she gets private quarters!

-Don

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words so far. Here's a handful of pics on the equipment (still waiting on the skimmer) and Jason's progress so far on the top of the tank (96x30) - including a glimpse inside of CFI's top secret manufacturing plant in North Bend!

I'm escaping this weather for a long weekend in Vegas and Spring hiking in Death Valley, so I'll get some more progress pics next week hopefully.

In the meantime, here's 4 Luminarc reflectors, and a couple of monster Hammerhead pumps for the two closed loops as well as the tank top.

-Don

Ohhh another local sweet sweet!!! Cannot wait to see this thing up and running. That Mantis is so cute :)

New Pics

Ok, we're getting pretty close to show time, so I thought I'd update a few more pics of my new baby. The tank and stand and sump are complete, so we're (and by "we" I mostly mean Jason) are down in the nitty gritty details of plumbing and wiring.

The first pic is the tank in progress which shows the placement of the overflow. I had an epiphany on where to place the tank in my house a few weeks back, so it's now going to be viewable front and back as well as one side. That location of the overflow seemed to be the most out of the way.

The next one is of course the tank on the stand with the canopy and the third shows a nifty feature of the canopy design in that the front 1/3 is removeable for access. There's no room for the canopy as a whole to be raised, so we're hammering out final details on a system that will move the lights back out of the way for easy tank access.

To prepare for the plumbing, Jason had laid out the components under the stand. For the skimmer I went with a Bubble King Supermarin 250 intenal, the calcium reactor is made by Precision Marine.

And somehow, even with an eight foot length and 30" of depth, everything's still a tight fit! The sump's five feet long and there's another hammerhead pump on the far side for the second closed loop.

One of the nice things about working with Jason is the attention to detail and craftsmanship of the tank itself - here's a close-up shot of the corner beveling which is just a really cool little feature. All the visible corners are done like this - rounded corners for the full viewable area, but still square as they fit into the canopy and stand for a better fit.

I'm heading out tonight to pester him some more, so I should be getting more pics. We're somewhere around a two week time delivery time frame, so it's getting pretty close.

Good luck on the tank.

Who in their right mind would willingly by a blue ring octo? Heck i'm surprised Blue sierra even sold one or that it was even legal too.

tom

Who in their right mind would willingly by a blue ring octo? Heck i'm surprised Blue sierra even sold one or that it was even legal too.

tom

Sierra didn't order it, it came as "filler" to round out a box. Once they had it, I think their focus was getting it out of their store!

-Don

Sierra didn't order it, it came as "filler" to round out a box. Once they had it, I think their focus was getting it out of their store!

-Don

Wow what a serious filler probably would have been much better to just throw some anthias in there or something. I certainly hope they told the new owner how incredibly dangerous that animal is.

Tom

This is the layout of the lights in the canopy - 4 x 250W metal halides. Since this is an acrylic tank and the canopy isn't super tall, it's very important that the lighting is placed over the access hatches and not over the plastic.

You can also clearly see where the roughly 1/3 of the front canopy is removable for access. Plus the back 2/3 will be able to slide back quite a bit to allow for access. There are doors on the canopy of course, but I also needed a way to go tank diving as necessary. The more maintenance becomes a hassle, the more likely I am to put it off. And there isn't any room to raise the canopy, so this is really the only way.

For the lighting gap in the middle of the tank, I've got a 2 ft. Solaris LED (really bummed about PFO) from my old tank I'm going to place there - no heat and can sit on the plastic. This will elminate any shadowing kind of look plus act as a moonlight in the center of the tank.

-Don

And this is my favorite view lengthwise from the top. You can see Jason has built two humongous access hatches with the overflow in the back. The poor angle of the camera and the paper still on the sides doesn't do the size justice in this shot- the tank's 8 feet long and 30" wide and 30" deep! My wife has told me it could be a very comfortable coffin if I don't watch myself!

Also visible is 6 of the 8 returns for the closed loop with the drains still to be drilled.

And the shot everybody's been waiting to see - inside the overflow box.

These systems can get complicated very quickly, so I wanted to keep the plumbing as simple as possible. Two drains, two returns and one backup drain if something gets clogged.

There's two closed loops each with four returns and one drain so that's 15 holes in the bottom of my brand new tank!

Hopefully we're a week or so from delivery, so I'll have more stuff to post real soon.

Thanks for all the comments and compliments so far. My post count is fairly low, but I've been lurking for a couple of years now and learned and been inspired by so many of you.

-Don

Back