Moving to Hawaii - POssible to take fish with me?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

Lee,

My job is re-locating me to Hawaii in a few short years (2-3). I have several tanks, some fowlr some reef. Do you think there would be any possible way I could bring any of the livestock with me? I plan on buying a new tank for the new house (something around 500 gallons) so I plan on selling the existing tanks since it would be too expensive and difficult to transport them. But do you think with a lot of planning I could bring my fish to Hawaii or do you think I should sell them here on the mainland before I move? I've grown quite attached to a few of them and would really like to keep just a few of them.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As far as I know, any "pet," including fish, would be required to go through a 30 day governmental QT period, once in Hawaii. With fish, there are a lot that aren't allowed to be imported or brought into Hawaii. I also don't think you'll be able to take any corals at all. I would suggest putting this question to Les, WPH, at his sponsor page, here on RF.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174

Yes I figured the corals and live rock would be a problem, but did not know about the fish. I know dogs are required to be quarantined as well but they make exceptions so it can be significantly shorter. I'll be sure to ask Les about the laws but I was hoping Lee could chime in whether if it would be advisable at all given the difficulty and logistics required.

The legal matters are something I'm not familiar with. However once wild fishes have been confined for a few months, they begin to loose many of their natural defenses and become more sensitive to stressors. The longer they are captive, the more sensitive they can become.

Such a relocation may be enough stress to cause the weakest to die. However, if they can be properly cared for in quarantine, that shouldn't be a problem. I doubt they will get that care, unfortunately. Just be sure a quarantine time is absolutely necessary. Hopefully it isn't. I mean, fish are shipped into the USA from all over the world and aren't kept in quarantine coming into this country, but an importer receives and moves the fish along such that they are delivered within 36 hours of landing. Maybe you need to retain an importer or other such company that handles marine fishes.

I have moved across the USA and made several moves in my life. At each I gave away or sold my marine life forms. If the move allowed, I kept the equipment. However, I have begun from scratch more than 3 times in all those decades in the hobby. I think the best thing for the fish is to give it away or sell it to someone that will take care of it and where the fish would get into its new home within 24 hours of being taken out of their home.

It's sad to loose a fish which has become a pet. :( So, even though I'm confident it is in the fish's best interest to not have to make a large move, you have to consider how you feel about giving them up.

Lee,

Apparently there is no quarantine for fish, just an inspection upon arrival. There are basically two ways to get them over there, ship them fedex or ship them via airline through a known shipper status. The fedex will take about 2-3 days, including a rebagging taking place in Honolulu before being flown to the final destination island. Airport to airport it would take just 1 day, I drop it off and pick it up at my destination when I arrive there.

I talked to my LFS and they can professionally pack the fish for me for a fee.

So with the new information, do you think it can be done successfully? Should I bother trying to plan this or do you think its a lost clause with a very slim chance of fish survivng?

I think you have the shipping method down. I'd go with the airline cargo due to speed.

But, will the tanks be setup for them upon arrival? Will the tanks be cycled and be able to handle a jolt to the bio-load? That is why I've always folded up my tent and gave away my fishes.

If you've got the receiving end setup and running, mature, and ready for the bio-load then I'd say go for it. A second possibility is to have a nearby LFS in Hawaii hold your fish in their tanks until you're tanks are ready. You can visit them daily and help care for them. They may be exposed to all sorts of diseases and need quarantining before you let them loose into your display system, but in this way you can introduce them slowly to build up the tank's biological filtration, and you'll have time to quarantine them slowly and individually. A lot of work and time, but not if it's a labor of love. ;)

I really don't like the idea of putting them in LFS tanks given all the diseases they can catch, especially given the time they have already been in captivity with the associated loss of abilities to fight disease. I plan on setting up the tank once the house is purchased in Hawaii and letting it run while we close the sale in our mainland house and being the whole moving process. Hopefully a month or two. In the meantime, I've got the start the tedious process of tearing down tanks and selling the associated equipment.

Last edited:
Lee,

Apparently there is no quarantine for fish, just an inspection upon arrival. There are basically two ways to get them over there, ship them fedex or ship them via airline through a known shipper status. The fedex will take about 2-3 days, including a rebagging taking place in Honolulu before being flown to the final destination island. Airport to airport it would take just 1 day, I drop it off and pick it up at my destination when I arrive there.

I talked to my LFS and they can professionally pack the fish for me for a fee.

So with the new information, do you think it can be done successfully? Should I bother trying to plan this or do you think its a lost clause with a very slim chance of fish survivng?

remember it takes about 30-45 days to get a known shipper status with an airline cargo otherwise the airline wont let you ship anything with them. Unless you know someone who has a known shipper with an airline that can ship for you. have the LFS quadruple the bags with a thick layer of newspaper between them so that your puffer doesnt bite through the bags and your other fish dont penetrate the bags and you have a leaky box because the airline will not accept a box that is wet...also remember to pack them in lots of water use big bags(14"-16") because the airline will charge you a 100 lb minimun on cargo. so you wanna pack atleast a 100 lbs of water...at 8.5 lbs per gallon you can pack atleast 3-5 gallons of water for each fish to ensure the fish will have plenty of water and oxygen to survive the trip...Most importanty you must contact dept of agriculture before hand and let them know to have an inspector there to inspect the cargo upon arrival. otherwise you will be in violation of our state laws without the proper inspection....the state AG office number is (808)832-0566 or (808)837-8092 hope this help out...aloha Les

Last edited:
Back