Moving Zoo

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrSculpin

This will sound very newbie and stupid so bear with me!!

I have one zoo of some sort that was a hitchhiker
on my live rock. The tank is new, was set up back on 9/10
this little guy opens up each day and for all I know is doing fine.
Back when I got the tank going I posted in the newbie forum asking what it was and someone said it was some sort of button pollup.

Up until the last couple of days it has never moved. The last few days its moving around all the time. Like its looking for a new spot? Food?
I have no clue.
Do they move alot? What do they eat? It first moved
Saturday, around the rock it has always been on, to a couple of inches away. Then it moved back a couple of hours later. This evening its up on top of its rock.

Id like to figure out how best to care for it. Keep it happy.

I would try posting a pic...Because if it is an anemone like Sid said, you are going to want to get rid of it while you still can.

Good luck :D

-augustus

Ya zoos don’t move Majano look like them and can be bad news. Try and get a picture up so we can get a look at it.

Ya zoos don’t move Majano look like them and can be bad news. Try and get a picture up so we can get a look at it.

I'll try and post a pic tomorow.
So if its an anemone, do they "roll up" each night?
I'll have to find a pic of what I mean.. off to bed now

Perfect post

Its kind of wierd that i found this post because it fits exactly what I have.
I am going to start a post so I don't Hi-jack this one!

Okay

Posting a few pics if they work. I have a normal digital camera so they wont be super.

the zoa/anemone is a little bigger than a pencil eraser.
It closes up when the lights are out into a small button looking shape. Its tenacles are short and seem the same length.
It never moved for the first month and a half. Now it moves everyday, at least twice a day.

Looks like one but the pictures are too fuzzy to see the tentacles. If its moving around it is an anemone.

Maybe I can try again for another pic tomorow.

The tentacles are short, all one length and look
very much like the zoa.

So what would make a tiny anemone stay in one spot for two months then move? Why do they move?

Might not be the real reason, but could be moving in preparation to start splitting and multiplying!!! YIKES!!!

Hmm so far nothing like that. If its a bad anemone
what makes it bad? That it spreads so much?
Its my only "life" in the tank well except for my one
little Banggai Cardinal and a couple of snails.

I didnt want to kill it yet!
I could put it in my little ten gallon refugium style tank
in my office maybe.

Hay dooood don’t worry about it. I think they look nice too. They come in many colors and sizes they are easy to care for and will thrive in almost any tank. They can take over tank if you let them. It surprises me on how we only won’t cretin things in our tank and call other thins pests. aiptasia anemone and majano look cool to me I have both in my tank. Lots of people would think I’m crazy but what the heck like anything in your tank if you let it, it could take over. I’ve seen tanks overrun with BTA. Lots of people have them but I don’t want one in my tank because I don’t.

Aiptasia and Majonos will both multiply sooo quick as to fill up space where you want corals. They'll also sting corals to the point where they can kill them. I've got a nice burnt spot on an beautiful blue Acropora caused by an aiptasia. Once they multiply to a certain number, they're very hard to get rid of. If you get them early, before they really start to spread, it's a much easier battle.

Aiptasia and Majonos will both multiply sooo quick as to fill up space where you want corals. They'll also sting corals to the point where they can kill them. I've got a nice burnt spot on an beautiful blue Acropora caused by an aiptasia. Once they multiply to a certain number, they're very hard to get rid of. If you get them early, before they really start to spread, it's a much easier battle.

Ah I see.. how do they multiply. I think I saw someone say they split?
I'll keep an eye on it.

Id planned to get another fish and perhaps some sort of
tough, good for a newbie coral, but for now its on hold.
Money! We are in the construction business and the economy has us putting any extra spending on hold for the time being. Its probably a good thing in disguise, makes one go Slooooow! My tank is only two months old.
Another reason I wasnt ready to get rid of my little guy! :oops:

Back