MP 40 placement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mwebber28

I just got my MP 40 and have been experimenting with placement. I have found that no matter where i put this thing it has tremendous power.

My concern is that the best place so far is just above my nem. While he seems to be happier so far(2 days into the spot) I have noticed he is reaching towards the power head, which I'm afraid he will get caught up in. So I placed the power head up near the top of the water column to avoid his reaching fingers.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this? I was thinking about moving a few corals and putting the power head at the opposite end of the tank just to avoid the nem.

Ideas?

I have 2 mp40 on my 6' wide tank. My rbta was headin for them. So i moved them both up opposite eachother, that way they can shoot into eachother. My rbta stopped goin to them. Theyre about 8" from the surface. My tank is 29" deep and they do a great job at moving water. How big is your tank?

Agree location at opposite ends and experimenting with different setting to find what works best for your tank. But the size of your tank makes a differences also for placement.

When I was running two MP40's I placed them at opposite ends of the tank, running Reef Crest or Lagoon mode. Running in an anti-sync mode creates lots of turbulent, opposing flow which seemed to suit the corals and tangs. I'd be very leery of having in nem in a tank with two of those pumps though. If that thing decides it's not happy with the flow, decides to move, and gets caught up in the current it could easily get into a pump. Be certain to use the mesh foam screens that come with the pumps.

Mike

My rbta is sittin pretty at the top of my aquascape in the middle. Seems real happy there. It anchored itself down deep and reaches for the stars.

Thanks for the ideas. I just put a 750 near the nem to hold him tight untill I can afford another mp40. He seems happy as a clam... or a nem...

Back