Mp40 wetside

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

I took apart the wetside of my Mp40 to clean it. Dont think i should have, but it looked so simple and i wanted to give it a deep clean. When i put it back together, everything seemed good. After a couple minutes, heard it making a louder than normal noise. Unplugged it, took the cage off. Everything still seemed fine. Put it back together, ran for a couple minutes, made the same noise again. Took it apart and checked the nut holding the prop to the screw, still tight, but i noticed on the inside of the cover, the magnet was wearing through. Thats NEW. Ive cleaned this pump a dozen times but this is a first. Its like the dry side is pulling the wet side magnet closer. Never done it in the last cleanings or in the last 3 months its been running. Any thoughts? Is the wetside toast?

Try to spin it by hands and clean out any debris. When you first run it after the cleaning did it make really loud noise like sounds of the return pump? If so...there is a probability that it's toasted.

your correct it is simple to take apart and clean but that's when you notice or cause whats wrong to appear. I took my MP40 apart and the same as you the magnet was wearing down by the plastic shaft??? didnt know better ans was sure it should be snug and not spin separate of the magnet so i super glued the bolt to the magnet then the nut on the end to the shaft. it works great but i have since bought a new wetside but keep the old one as a back. have you looked at the this:
http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/FULLMANUAL_Revision1.2.pdf
its what i found when i first took mine apart and i still use it.

Thanks guys. I took it apart and cleaned it, i know nothing was jamming it. I had another wetside that i swapped out also, but it was a well used one, it did the same thing. I also have the manual. Printed out all 44 pages. The longer i have this pump, the less i like it. I have the koralia evo 1400 1050 and 750 in my tank now along with a mak 4 return. I run my mp40 100% on all the time. No ramping up or down. Was really annoying. Now my tank is down all that flow from another jacked up mp40. Thats 2 for me. Not said very often in this hobby, shoulda gone cheaper on this piece of equipment. Think im goin to super glue it tomorrow. Maybe both of the wetsides i have.

Sorry to hear that. I purchased 3 replacement of each shaft, washer, and not total was $10 plus shipping and magnets that's what cost but I like my MP40's and 10's. as far as the super glue I placed the glue were the shaft goes in let it harden then assemble the other side, screwed the nut on and super glued the top of it. Once harden spun the impeller to make sure it was spinning and now stuck or wobbling, reassembled and put it through every setting for a few days and it worked great till I bought the replacement parts and wet sides. Hope it works for you.

I took apart the wetside of my Mp40 to clean it. Dont think i should have, but it looked so simple and i wanted to give it a deep clean. When i put it back together, everything seemed good. After a couple minutes, heard it making a louder than normal noise. Unplugged it, took the cage off. Everything still seemed fine. Put it back together, ran for a couple minutes, made the same noise again. Took it apart and checked the nut holding the prop to the screw, still tight, but i noticed on the inside of the cover, the magnet was wearing through. Thats NEW. Ive cleaned this pump a dozen times but this is a first. Its like the dry side is pulling the wet side magnet closer. Never done it in the last cleanings or in the last 3 months its been running. Any thoughts? Is the wetside toast?

Yes, it's 'toast'. I believe it is an issue with the ceramic bearing and it's really not as bad as it seems. Call Ecotech support and they will most likely replace/repair at no cost. This happened to me once exactly like you describe.

I kinda figured. Where did you get your replacement parts for 10 buck? For 3 each of the hardware? All i can find is from ecotech is 2.50 for each hardware piece.

I got it from Ecotech might of been more than $10 for the shaft and nuts but compared to $400+ for the MP40 it was cheap.

Well, goin to talk to the wife. Gettn out tax return soon...hopefully. Just goin to replace the wetside for both pumps and get a new driver for the one i fried. Ill have both my mp40 pumps goin again...hopefully. Mayne this was just a blessing in disguise. Now i get to play with the flow in my tank some more. I seem to have a lot of deadspots.

Well In my 75 gal I had to take one MP40 out and replace it with a MP10. Ones on the left the others on the right while I have a MP10 down in the back left on low and my return in the upper right. I have some crazy patterns but no dead spots. Let know how it all works out because I love the master slave mode that you can place them in.

For those that dont know how strong the magnets are on the wetsides of these mp40 pumps...lol. Just use caution. I wasnt and had both my wetsides apart. Was holding one magnet, and went over the other magnet to get something, forgot it was there and, well, pictures are worth a thousand words right...lmao....ouchy!
Let ua still no, my attempt at a fix didnt work...lol.

Attachments

• 2013-03-15_18-29-48_381.jpg
    2013-03-15_18-29-48_381.jpg
    75.1 KB
  • 2013-03-15_18-30-40_161.jpg
    2013-03-15_18-30-40_161.jpg
    60.9 KB
For those that dont know how strong the magnets are on the wetsides of these mp40 pumps...lol. Just use caution. I wasnt and had both my wetsides apart. Was holding one magnet, and went over the other magnet to get something, forgot it was there and, well, pictures are worth a thousand words right...lmao....ouchy!
Let ua still no, my attempt at a fix didnt work...lol.

Owwee! Those little blood blisters are annoying.

Out all the things that could have bit you the MP40 gotcha:crutch:.

I just got rid of the other 2 things 3 days ago...dang clowns!!...lol. So leave it to the mechanicals to start in on me. I lost track of how many times i got "buzzed" starting in on this hobby...i mean adventure...lol

I have a vicious clown, he attacks me every time I stick my hand in he goes into attack mode. I had gotten rid of my gold stripe maroon because he was pestering another fish, but he never bothered me. This one, an Ocelaris, doesn't bother any of the fish, but goes after me as soon as I put my hand in the tank. All day he stays in the same place, under the Monti, unless I put my hand into the tank, then he owns the whole tank. Little twerp. He only likes me at feeding time.

Same case here. They were only 2" long. Lil guys. But, a 72" wide tank isnt big enough for them. I would go in the tank on 1 side and they would come tearin outta there rbta and head straight for me. Couldnt even clean the glass with my mag float without them attacking that too! I said the heck with it, traded them into my lfs, walked out the door only paying $18 for a bucket of salt...WITH A SMILE! Wont be getting anymore clowns, 3 different pairs in 4 years, done!..lol

I like him for his coloration, novices don't think of him as a clown, just as Nemo. He will be around for a long time, he doesn't bother anything else in the tank, just me.

Back