Mr. Calfo. dosing with vitamin C

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

briang

I just check the Reef Central site and there seems to be a big tread,23,000 views and 950 replies about dosing a tank with vitamin C to save this guys zoos that were covered with brown algea with gas bubbles. Same as mine before they dissapeared. I read a lot of the posts but don't have time to read 1,000. Some people said it can effect alk. and such. Have you ever heard of this? What are your thoughts ?

I'm curious about this as well. I've got a zoanthid tank this isn't doing so hot but I'm a little bit hesitant to start the VC dosing.. Taggin along

I read the same thread when some of my palys started mysteriously shriveling... It was in my 8gal biocube, so following this guys dosage was kind of hard. I started out with cutting a 1000mg tablet in half and dosing once a day. Tried this for about a week. When I saw no improvement what so ever, I moved to a full 1000mg once a day. I gotta say, it didn't save the palys I had that were super shriveled, but it did keep it(whatever it was) from spreading any farther. All my other palys remained healthy, and the ones that were just beginning to show symptoms of it recovered. I did it for a total of about 2 weeks.

it has been a while since he has been around. he is busy writing books and stuff but he does make an appearance now and then

Several of us followed the thread on RC and tried this with varying results. You actually start with a much lower dosage and increase it over time. I didn't have any problems with zoanthids before starting this regime. However, I stopped doing it about the time I got to my full dosage. I actually started seeing some negative results. Nothing in the tank had changed other than the Vit. C dosing. Others have also experienced some negative results. However, a lot of people have had great results with it. I think it does deserve some thought, probably has a lot of merit, but still needs more study.

Back