MSX-200 question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bc_slc

Just got a MSX-200 from Marine Solutions. I am curious if anyone else has gotten one from the new batch. It is pretty much plug-and-play. I have not looked at the impeller/mesh assembly, but it seems like it is not making quite as many bubbles as I had hoped. I am a bit nervous to take the volute apart. Any advice?

Mat

take the volute off and look inside :razz:
see if there are 3 layers of mesh and that they are properly trimmed and not interfearing with the volute
check for blockage in the air line, venturi, & muffler.
also, is the skimmer in 9" of water?

also, you may just need to break it in for a week, the first day dont mean crap...

Last edited:
Thx for the help.

It is in about 9" of water, trimmed the airline back so that it doesn't kink, otherwise that line is clear. Thx for the reference Finn, I read most of the 75 pages yesterday. I think I will peal off the volute later today. Wasn't sure what it should look like on the inside.

Mat

I really wanted to get one of the MSX skimmers, but got impaitent after a 8 week wait.
Post pictures when it gets going.

You must make sure its set up properly meaning the reducer is flush with the outside of the volute cover and the flat end of the air injector is just through the volute a mm or two.. You also want to make sure the pump inlet is facing down.

The pump actually came pre-assembled. The reducer was already in place and is flush and the air injector is in place as well. I had to trim the tubing since it was about 6" too long. I do not have the pump inlet down, why is that important?

Mat

Mat, it seems to run much quieter and stronger if you point it down. My sicce is pulling over 50scfh. But give it a week or so to break in. The pump will start to pull more air as it breaks in.

Back