msx skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

well for those interested this is what i came up with from that link

Low-medium-high bioload
msx160- 250-160-125
msx200- 350-230-175
msx250- 640-425-315

I don't agree with the numbers for the MSX250 (subsequently the msx300 would be overrated as well). The msx250 (which is basically the msx300 with a slightly smaller body diameter) would no way be able to handle those huge numbers. I feel comfortable putting the 250/300 on a comfortably stocked 300 gallon tank at the most. It seems a perfect match up to that point. Larger tank would require another skimmer, or a low bioload, or a highly productive and significantly sized refugium.

I find the msx300 to be barely keeping up with my heavy stocked 220 that I have it hooked up to at the moment. Its pulling a significant amount of skimmate out but it has not been able to "run out" the tank of skimmable organics. I have some massive skimmers that will stop pulling skimmate after being hooked up for several weeks to a tank. It will stop being able to produce a foam head until more organic are introduced into the aquarium (be it more load, feedings, etc). The msx300 is not able to outskim my 220 so I don't see how it can go much higher. Don't get me wrong, its keeping my tank clean and the water clear but thats because its near its upper limit.

Last edited:
Back