Mushroom/softie propagation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

clevergeek

My saltwater collection is rapidly growing, and I just wanted to see what the general consensus was regarding "fragging" soft corals.

I have a green hairy mushroom, several kinds of rics, and a variety of red, blue, and green mushrooms. The red mushrooms seem to just pop up new polyps on the same rock, I started off with 2 a few months ago and now have close to a dozen. The blue mushroom seems to be stretching like it's getting ready to spread (ie, instead of a flat circle like it used to be, it's extended up around an inch and a half, and literally looks like a terrestrial mushroom), but hasn't reproduced yet.

Likewise, the ghm and rics are much bigger than when I got them, but haven't split. (the ghm easily gets 5+ inches across when "fully inflated"). Do these guys do best if left to their own devices, or do you tend to reach for the scissors if you want to control the sizes or want extras?

After much reading it seems like the general consensus is that at some point I'll become more interested in sps than the softies anyway, and will eventually regret having put them in the tank in the first place...but so far that hasn't happened. :D

(although I have to admit, the orange and purple montipora digitatas I picked up from returnofsid (I think??) are growing on me-- already putting on noticeable new growth and always have full polyp extension, which is a nice contrast to my cali tort frag, which may or may not be dead. :oops:)

i like to let nature take its course, but if you start to run out of room all it takes is a sharp razor blade and that is about it. also there are some very nice softy tanks out there and in fact alot of people that had amazing sps systems scrapped them and went back to softys

why would u not want morphs they are a big thing here(australia) far more rare then alot of sps everyone i know loves them and when customers come in the shop 9 out of 10 will look at or buy a morph and why not there good money makers
nut yes i would cut mine i dont really mind anymore i cut the rare ones and leave the colours i dont want to pump out to do there own thing
i also like to cut at the foot of the coral rather then cutting the middle

Back