Music choice?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi guys, I'm just makeing this thread for fun. In the engine design forums I'm into, there seems to be an overwhelming music trend in with the experts towards Pink Floyd, and similar music. I'm curious if there is some common music trend common between most reef keepers. So, if you dont mind, please list some of your favorite music groups, and we can see if a trend occurs.

I will start:
For pleasure, I enjoy

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Moody Blues, the Beatles (for some reason I only get into their strongly drug influenced songs, Eg. Strawberry Fields), Cream and more of that similar style.

For working and sometimes trying to relax, I enjoy

Old clasical (occasionaly new stuff is OK), 70s Jazz (except for any big-band stuff), Grover Washington Jr., Ottis Redding, Jim Croche, CCR, and others of that style.

So, lets hear some feed back, and see if a trend appears!

I don't think I can help you much. My musical tastes are all over the board. This might help a little though....I think that Pink Floyd was one of fhe most talented rock bands I've ever heard (and the weirdest).

I like:

Classical
Big Band and Swing
Jazz (old jazz, dixieland, as well as jazz fusion)
Country (old and new but I don't like most bluegrass)
Heavy Metal (if they were popular late 70's/early 80's)
Soft Rock (i.e. Journey, Billy Joel, etc.)
Southern Gospel, R & B, Soul, etc.

I'm dating myself a little here....at one time I had a Blues collection of probably 300 albums. It included Chicago Blues, Louisiana Blues, modern Blues, etc.

Well...I'm a HUGE Andrea Bocelli fan! I have all the cd's and even a DVD of him in concert. Whenever I need to relax, It's Andrea Bocelli's music. I don't know what the heck he's saying, but it doesn't matter:p...Then there is Josh Groban and all of the older love ballads (80's) right up to today(older ones being more meaningful):)

I used to play music for living for 22 years,,still play once awhiletoward lighter stuff,,for me they are Led zaplin,Pink Floyd,UFO,ACDC,Mountain and finished it off with Hot rail to hell,,Blue Oyster Cult.

I may be old but I still listen to Heavy Metal/Hard Rock, keeps me young at heart I guess...lol. To relax I listen to Clapton because we all know that 'Clapton is God'

Rev. Horton Heat, Ramones, John Lee Hooker, Zepplin, AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine, and Supersuckers top the list, but I also listen to alot of other stuff. I'm not a big country fan or boy bands/pop stuff though. Any of you Seattle folk Supersuckers fans? Great local band go check em out.

Brian

Oh man! Too many to list!!!

Really the music I choose is defined by my mood!

Lately, I am really into Post Modern Surfer jam tunes, sorta like hyped up Dick Dale or the Ventures or the 50-60's or Tiki lounge music, such as Martin Denny or Art Lyman, etc.

Dig World Music!!!! Latin flamenco - Strunz and Farah or the Gipsy Kings.
Hawaiian Kiho'alu Slack Key - Hapa, Led Kaapana, Cryil Pahinui, Willie K. And of course Ukulele - Iz!!!, Jake Shimabukuro, etc.

For nostalgia purposes I dig, on occasion, 80's music, especially the Police, the Cars, the Fixx, Duran Duran, etc.

When I wanna rock out, normally Ted Nugent, Kiss, LZ, Bon Scott AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.

Truly my top 5 favorite bands are: Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, yes from the drug years, and the Police

Last edited:
With the exception of Rap I like almost everything. Ragae, Rock, Metal, Industrial, Alternative, Jazz, Country....the full spectrum.

Especially fond of Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ministry, Louis Armstrong, Led Zep, Pantera....I'm all over the board

Its cool to hear that nearly everyone likes Clapton, I forgot to mention him, but that guy definately is up high on the list for me. I like Stevie Ray Vaughan too, both of those guys are increadible guitar players.

Dang- what type if insturment did you play in your band?

Used to be a semi-professional jazz and classical bassist, so I have a think for John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Weather Report, and some other more modern jazz stuff. I also adore Beethoven, Brahms, Stravinsky, Mozart, Hindemith, Bottesini and some other "romantic" period music.

For more modern stuff, I've been listening to some of the newer "indy rock" lately like The Killers, The Shins, Muse, etc...

I have a weird thing for 80s New Wave stuff, probably on account of my older sister inundating me with it when I was growing up, but I usually don't admit that. :p

Actually, aside from Rap, there's little music I don't listen to from time to time. My sister and brother-in-law are a bluegrass/oldtime duo that I really love listening to, which surprised me. I never cared much for banjo music before. =)

-Dylan

You guys have some class in your music selections! I'll forgive Pantera Reed LOL You know they are Hockey fans too? ;) Clapton is a must..

I am an odd duck when it comes to music.. I too like just about every genre but Rap and Country but I only listen to Christian music. Not for any legalistic reason, but because the spirit behind the music is up-lifting. I use to listen to mainstream secular music and LOVED my Nirvana and Alice n Chains but its hard to keep a possitive perspective listening to heart break all the time :)

SO, my fav groups in order are: Jars Of Clay, The Waiting, Dave Krouder Band, According To John, Switchfoot, Skillet, POD. Ultimately I find my self drawn to contemporary groups in my every day listening.

Old person here. The Eagles, Paul Simon (with or without Garfunkle), The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Willie Nelson.

I have about as wide a variety at times as everyone on here combined-except country. What I always go back to though is the heavy stuff. Metallica, MudVayne, Rob Zombie, Hatebreed, Soulfly, ect. I am really into adrenaline sports and this is the music that can prepare you the best (Mozart just doesn't cut it when you are getting ready to hurl your body off a cliff :badgrin: ). Others of my favorite bands: Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Offspring, Disturbed, and if anyone noticed from my signature, System of a Down.

Great thread Luke.

Tim

26myself...

Classical: Bach
Classic Rock: Hendrix, Sabbath, some Zepplin

During my early teens: early Slayer & Sepultura, NIN, nirvana, ramones, marilyn manson, w.zombie, ministry, butthole surfers

Now: Aphex Twin, Oakenfold, ATB, trance stuff

But have an allergic reaction to smooth jazz, country and phil collins.

Back