My 24gal "Pod"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
As promised, here is the new thread dedicated to the 24gal HQI Aquapod I have on the way. Not sure how creative I can get with this tank in terms of some DIY because I haven't actually seen the tank yet, but I guess we'll see how it goes when it comes.

As far as equipment goes, here's what the tank will have at startup:

- 2 Maxijet 1200's with sure grip magnet mounts for circulation (more than likely to be replaced with the Tunze nano streams when they are available)

- 1 Maxijet 1200 to replace return pump that comes with the Aquapod

- Aqua C nano skimmer

- TLF Phosban reactor

- About 30-35lbs of live rock, my corals and both clowns. (The tang goes to a new home tomorrow...Bummer:doubt: )

- And for lighting, the tank has the 70w HQI MH with white and blue moonlights. I thought about getting the 150w HQI, but wanted to cut down on heat as much as possible and figured if I really needed more, I could just order the other fixture, but I'll see how my corals respond to it first.

So...Here are the first set of pics. I built the stand out of 3/4 Virola plywood, then stained and clear/sealed it with a satin finish so it wouldn't be too glossy. The total time I spent on the stand was about 3 1/2 hours.

The first set of attachments show the bare stand

And lastly...The end product with the clear satin coat on it. I purposely left off the door handle to see how well it hides that storage space from the kids:)

Krish, nice looking work already.:)
As usual.
Hey, I've never heard of Virola.
Is that like a Mahogany?

dang Krish, from a 90 to a 75 to a cube to nano, whats next? a fish bowl...lol j/k looking good so far :)

Hey Krish, just wanted to say Great job on that stand. That is one fine piece of furnature :) So you are changing the tank again, I hope that you can be satisfied with one of these tanks eventually, will this be the one? haha. Looking forward to seeing what happens next here. The latest pics that I have seen of your cube have been really nice, sorry to see it go.

As far as equipment goes, here's what the tank will have at startup:

it comes.
- 2 Maxijet 1200's with sure grip magnet mounts for circulation (more than likely to be replaced with the Tunze nano streams when they are available)

- 1 Maxijet 1200 to replace return pump that comes with the Aquapod
your funny! look at you gph and think of your space.. if you use sand wow one hell of a non stop sandstorm lol! mabe get mj900's or something smaller like that. I really think 2 MJ 1200 in the tank with a MJ 1200 return is alittle too much flow for the aquapod. and get the locline for the return I am getting some in a few days/weeks/years who knows with my scedule.

be good krish and I see you had the baby congrats bro! thats about how busy I have been.

I like the hide away door, that is a cool idea! Nice wood work Krish, maybe by the weekend you will get to see the Hy-bread aquapod24, well have to give it a name, I think?:confused: :confused:

I think I said that wrong LOL, I was meaning Krisha should get his tank by Friday hopefully!

Looking good. Now get that nano on it and get some water in there.. LOL..

Thanks James! Just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the tank to arrive. Hopefully it will be in my hands Friday:)

Krish, nice looking work already.
As usual.
Hey, I've never heard of Virola.
Is that like a Mahogany?

Thanks Martin! The virola is a type of plywood. One side is a dark color with a consistant pattern and the otherside looks like your typical plywood, however it's "good" on both sides:)

Wheres the tank?

UPS!:p It will actually be in Florida later tonight where my freight forwarder is and once they recieve it which is usually by noon tomorrow, they will put it on their next plane over so I'm hoping from Friday:)

dang Krish, from a 90 to a 75 to a cube to nano, whats next? a fish bowl...lol j/k looking good so far

Thanks Jake! Next one will be a shot glass because I will probably have to take up drinking if I have to do another swap:p

Hey Krish, just wanted to say Great job on that stand. That is one fine piece of furnature So you are changing the tank again, I hope that you can be satisfied with one of these tanks eventually, will this be the one? haha. Looking forward to seeing what happens next here. The latest pics that I have seen of your cube have been really nice, sorry to see it go.

Hey Tom...Thanks man. Yeah, hopefully this one will satisfy everyone in my house. Not very different in dimensions so it should be a nice setup like the acryic cube I have now. All of the corals, rocks and most of the water will transfer over so it should look almost the same as the other tank. I will be putting down the white bottom again because I'm sure I will go nuts with the flow eventually. Good luck again with the move to Germany man...You should be way ahead of us in technology if you start up another tank:)

your funny! look at you gph and think of your space.. if you use sand wow one hell of a non stop sandstorm lol! mabe get mj900's or something smaller like that. I really think 2 MJ 1200 in the tank with a MJ 1200 return is alittle too much flow for the aquapod. and get the locline for the return I am getting some in a few days/weeks/years who knows with my scedule.

be good krish and I see you had the baby congrats bro! thats about how busy I have been.

Thanks Larry! Definately have my hands full! Good thing my wife is off for 13 weeks! :eek: Yeah, this tank will be bare bottom like the others with the pvc board bottom so no sand storm.In any event, that's not much flow man...LOL! My cube now has about 4,000 gph and it's only 38gal! I almost bought a pair of Seio's for this Aquapod, but said I'd wait on the nano streams!:D

I like the hide away door, that is a cool idea! Nice wood work Krish, maybe by the weekend you will get to see the Hy-bread aquapod24, well have to give it a name, I think?

Thanks Scooty! Yeah, I like the hideaway door! I'm going to mess with the kids and say this one opens from the side and let them see if they can get it open:p

That is a great stand. I wish I had those kind of woodworking skillz.

Thanks man...Just learned it from messing around with power tools the past 10 years or so. Never took any woodworking classes, just picked it up on my own:)

outstanding :)!!!
if we get a house :rolleyes: the first thing i'm gonna do is learn how to cut and work with wood so i can make a nice stand like yours :D .
I love the color ....seriously very nice dood.

so are you going to put a sump on that thing or just run it stock?
btw, the regular sized remora will fit on there w/ a mj1200...
heres a pic of what i had running on mine...:lol:

Attachments

• pod2.jpg
    pod2.jpg
    80.1 KB
Last edited:
outstanding !!!
if we get a house the first thing i'm gonna do is learn how to cut and work with wood so i can make a nice stand like yours .
I love the color ....seriously very nice dood.

Thanks Gabbs! When you move into your house I'll fly down and give you a hand with some woodwork!:)

so are you going to put a sump on that thing or just run it stock?
btw, the regular sized remora will fit on there w/ a mj1200...
heres a pic of what i had running on mine...

Hey Mark...I'm just going to run it stock for now. I need to see the thing infront of me to see what all I can do with it. Nvertheless, I want to keep the setup pretty simple, but we'll see:)

Got a small update

(1) The yellow tang has gone to a new home :doubt: He wouldn't make it in this tank so I let him go in Andrews setup he has home.

(2) The lobophora I have been dealing with from startup with the 90gal, I just chopped off all traces of it tonight. When I first got the rock, I thought it was a sponge so I left it. It spread to my other rocks and then I found out what it was. I'm sure I will experience a cycle of some sort as a result. I lost 2 rocks totally and had about 2lbs of broken off pieces I chopped off of the rock. I got one of my old rocks back though because it was too much for Andrews tank so I anchored quite a few corals on it. The funny thing is I have only 3 big rocks in there now (which all 3 may not fit in this new tank because they are BIG) and 3 small ones about the size of a baseball. I sort of set them up how they will go in the "pod", but won't decide totally till the tank gets here.

(3) Lastly, I got my 1/8 white pvc board to put down for my bb setup. It's the same stuff I have in my 38gal cube as well as what I had in my 75gal. When I get the tank, I will shape it to fit and silicone it down and then let it sit 24 hours before I set up so I will post pics as I get started:)

Well, the tank and other stuff was delayed a day because they cancelled the afternoon flights today (go figure :rolleyes: ) but they said I can pick up everything in the morning about 11:00 so we'll see. Once I get the stuff and nothing is broken, I'll start posting pics:)

Back