My 90 gallon Wave Tank Upgrade/Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
OK, so I am the proud new Mama of a 90 gallon Wave tank thanks to Josh. I wanted to start my own build thread on here since I have never done that before! Over the last 7 months, I have stuffed so much stuff into my 55 gallon that upgrading was the sensible thing to do.

Josh delivered the tank/hood/stand to me last week. Here is a picture of it 90 gallon tank build day one.jpg

My 55 gallon has a black painted back so this time I decided blue would be my choice. On Thursday I went to Ace and picked out a deep blue, had it mixed and brought it home. I like to roller paint the back of my tanks instead of spray painting so I chose a 100% acrylic with primer already in it. After scraping the tank clean & prepping it with tape/sheets I was ready to paint. Saturday I painted the first coat & today I painted the second coat. It looks amazing and the paint stayed really well. Very happy with the primer base! Here is a picture of the tank today, front & back. 90 gallon tank build day two - painted front view.jpg
90 gallon tank build day two - painted.jpg

So, I have had both drilled/plumbed tanks and tanks that had everything HOB. I really love having the HOB stuff so I am using all the same equipment from my 55 gallon on the 90 gallon. I am using a HOT Magnum, a Prism Skimmer & I have modded a cheap aquarium filter with an attachment to pull water from the top of the tank therefore acting a bit like an overflow and keeping the top of my water clean. I have 2 Koralias for water flow around the tank and a smaller pump for water flow behind my rocks. This filtration system has worked amazingly well for me and my coral growth is awesome. My lighting is a modded set-up... 2 x 175 watt 14k metal halides, 2 x 96 watt actinics & 6 x 3 watt Cree LEDs down the center, 3 blue, 3 white. I will be changing out the whites for blues soon. The new tank is the same length as the old one so the lighting works well. The only thing I have not decided yet is whether or not I will be using the hood on the new tank. I am short and having to stand on a step ladder is scary!

Tuesday I am getting all my live sand and water and will start the process of moving everything over. I will be adding 5 cups of sand from my 55 to the bottom of the 90 before adding all the new, clean live sand. Here is a picture of my 55 gallon with everything in it... I have a big job ahead of me!
55gallon reef.jpg

Since the new tank is going in the same spot as the 55 I have to bucket everything, move the old tank, move the new tank and then start adding everything. Aquascaping has always been hard for me, I am never satisfied! So, this time I have drawn a diagram or map of where everything should go & how I WANT it to look. We will see if this works or not. After a few trips up & down the ladder I may throw in the towel & start throwing things in! LOL Well, thats my start. I know it's not as exciting as some of the other builds I have read with cool and exciting construction and ideas but I wanted to have something to show what I have done. Any ideas/suggestions as I go along are welcome. Also, anyone not busy on Tuesday that wants to come lend a hand is more than welcome... I will supply beer/wine & pizza :)

Looking forward to seeing this come together Rachel. Let us know when you are ready to upgrade those lights...;);):D

Hey Eric, thanks! I still want to go LED at some point but even though I LOVE the look of the corals under LEDs, I have had such amazing results with my halides that I think at least for the next year I will stick with what I have with the exception of swapping out those white Crees with blue ones. I can't wait to get everything moved over. I will have so much more room in the new tank and can play around a bit more with my aquascaping instead of having the crammed look i got going on now. Also, I have things touching and pissing eachother off so being able to spread everything out more will be so great! Your tank looks AMAZING!!! I keep looking at the picture and thinking that it is absolutely perfect. I had to frag & re-home that HUGE devils hand I got from you a few months ago. It was totally too big for my tank, I don't know what I was thinking! It fragged itself quite a bit in my tank so I have pieces of it attached to numerous rocks here and there. I will let you know about those LEDs... maybe next year I won't get such a bum deal on my tax refund!

Thanks Derbird... my only fear is that once everything is moved over the new tank will look empty and I will go spend all our grocery money on more corals! (It HAS happened before - he he he). I am thinking of building a stand for the rocks inside the tank. I saw a picture of one made out of pvc piping and loved the idea. It was made for a bare bottom tank but I still love the idea. Here is the picture of what the guy did...

BB  TANK PIPES FOR AQUASCAPING.jpeg

I am going with sand but I think this will give my tank more fullness and also keep most of the rocks off the sandbed and help with flow. I will stack rocks around the base so that you cannot see the pvc. I am going in the morning to buy stuff and start making it. The only thing I may change is that I will probably make one side higher than the other side. Other than that, I really like what he did...

So, I just got all my live sand, salt mix and some prime. Then I went to Ace and had them cut up a bunch of pvc piping. Got a box of corner and 3 way pvc adapters and will build the live rock stands tonight. One will be 6" high, the other one 10". Now off to walmart for a huge clear plastic tub to house the contents of my 55 gallon tomorrow while I get the new tank moved and set up. Will keep the tub heated and have a pump going for circulation until I can get everything moved. Oh, I gotta get more frag glue toooooo. I hope this goes well, I start bright and early tomorrow morning.

Thanks Derbird... my only fear is that once everything is moved over the new tank will look empty and I will go spend all our grocery money on more corals! (It HAS happened before - he he he). I am thinking of building a stand for the rocks inside the tank. I saw a picture of one made out of pvc piping and loved the idea. It was made for a bare bottom tank but I still love the idea. Here is the picture of what the guy did...

View attachment 43211

I am going with sand but I think this will give my tank more fullness and also keep most of the rocks off the sandbed and help with flow. I will stack rocks around the base so that you cannot see the pvc. I am going in the morning to buy stuff and start making it. The only thing I may change is that I will probably make one side higher than the other side. Other than that, I really like what he did...

LOL you mean I should by groceries before spending all my money on coral. Ops

I like the stand. I think it will be even better in a sand bed. The feet will be hidden and your focus can go right to the coral :)

OK, so I have done all I can setting up & getting everything ready for the big move tomorrow. I made my pvc piping stand & it looks great EXCEPT I made it too wide (it fits in the tank nicely but leaves me only a couple inches on each side of the glass and I wanted to layer rocks so that you cannot see it). So tomorrow I have to run to Ace, have them cut all the 6" pipes to 3" & put it back together. The look I am aiming for is high rocks on the left side with an overhang or cliff over a big cave then tapering down in the middle of the tank. I will leave a valley in the middle then a smaller rock pile on the right. I also have to get some end caps for the pvc, it is open and I am worried about things crawling in there, not being able to get out and dieing or debris in there and it becoming a nitrate factory. Anyone have any other suggestions besides capping off the ends? Anyways, I am pooped and off to bed. Gotta get everything ready in the morning for my husband to help me move both tanks before he leaves for work at 1pm.

Update... whew, this is a pain! LOL. I got everything moved into the plastic tub this morning with a koralia running and heater. Kinda looks cool to see everything from the top, makes me think my next tank will be a shallow cube so I can look down into it :) Then I put all my base rock into a bucket of salt water. Moved all the sand out of the old tank and waited for my hubby to wake up (he works 2 full time jobs and only gets about 6 hours sleep every night). I was super nice & made him breakfast, coffee and lunch to take to work so he would be happy to help me ;) When he got up he helped me with the rest, moving the old tank and the new in it's place. Since then I have been back and forth to Ace to finish my pvc stands and filling the new tank with water and sand. Then to barrier to get glue and now waiting for the sand to settle before starting my aquascaping. I can't believe it's already 9pm and I have been at this since 9am! Still a long way to go but the hard part is over and now the fun begins! Here are pics of stuff so far... will take pics of the tank once the sand settles and the pvc pipes are in place, then again when finished.

tank fill.jpg
tub of stuff.jpg

Update... It took me a long time to get this all moved in. It has been almost 2 days and I have not seen any losses so I think I may be good. I am more than in love with my aquascaping, it is the first time EVER that I have been completely satisfied with the outcome. I do not feel the need to tweak anything :) The only thing I have left to do it glue some things down and move all the stuff that I placed all over the sandbed (My legs were so tired from going up and down my step ladder 500 times that I finally gave up and just put things on the sand) Here is a picture of the 55 gallon before tear down and the 90 gallon wave with completed rockwork. You can see that the water is still cloudy from my sand bed going in but other than that its an ok pic. I cannot believe how much more room I have to play with!

55gallon reef.jpg
90 gallon tank build done.jpg

I decided to only use one set of pvc pipe shelves for the tank on the left side. Then took out the one on the right. The pipes are completely hidden from the front, you can see a bit of it from the left side of the tank but I'm ok with that. To alleviate dead spots under the islands, for flow, I placed a smaller pump behind the left island. It is open under so the water moves completely through and around the left island now. On the right side there is no open underside since I stacked the rocks but I placed another small pump to hit the side of it directly and go in between and around the island. All in all I am happy with my new tank and cannot wait to fill it with more new stuff!!!

Nice work on the tank! It looks good. I've tried hiding pumps under rockwork, but eventually they got pulled out because maintenance became an issue accidentally knocking over corals and collapsing rockwork. It's just something to keep in mind as you move forward with the beautiful tank. You clearly put a lot of effort and thought into the aquascaping, so you probably have more room to access things than I did after randomly tossing everything in. :)

I planned it out so that I can see & reach the pumps from both sides of the tank. I think for the first time I actually thought everything through first. I am the first to admit to throwing things in the tank! My 55 gallon was that way. This one is my baby and I took all the things I learned and used them. I also drew out how I wanted the rocks to look and kinda mapped it out before hand which really helped alot. I am really happy with the results!

Your 90 is awesome!!
Yes, it is a lot of work to set up a new tank right were the old one is setting. It took me two days!!!
Your rock work is outstanding. Very well planned.
As I have said in the past. You really dont know how you want your tank to look and run until you have already done it.
Great job!!!
More pics please.

Been a few weeks so I thought I would post a couple of new pics of the tank... I am still digging my aquascaping and have added a few new corals.

Reef Left1.jpg

Reef Right1.jpg

Reef Full1.jpg

I am still having trouble taking good pics... My cell camera sucks and these were taken with my digital camera but only look a tad bit better. I think my next investment will be a good camera!

Rachel

Nicely done, just out of curiousity, did you take any pictures of your pvc tubing you used? I'm in the process of reaquascaping and need ideas on how to keep the rock of the sand, got a few ideas kicking around in my head but would really like to see what others have done.

I do not have any pictures of it except now with the rocks on it. I have quite a bit of smaller cut pieces of pvc if you need it. I returned all the corner and end pieces though. Only the left rocks are lifted off the sand bed and have the water pump under. I made the structure like a flat open ended square on top with four support legs under. Kinda like a table but without the table top and open on one end. It is very sound and did not wobble at all when I placed rocks on it. Anyways, let me know if you need my leftover pvc and I'll meet you somewhere :)

Wow girl, I love what you have done with this set up!! I love your FTS and hope you keep this thread updated. I will be posting a Thread with a few pics of what I have going on as well:)

I do not have any pictures of it except now with the rocks on it. I have quite a bit of smaller cut pieces of pvc if you need it. I returned all the corner and end pieces though. Only the left rocks are lifted off the sand bed and have the water pump under. I made the structure like a flat open ended square on top with four support legs under. Kinda like a table but without the table top and open on one end. It is very sound and did not wobble at all when I placed rocks on it. Anyways, let me know if you need my leftover pvc and I'll meet you somewhere :)

If you were closer I'd definitely meet ya and take em off your hands but pretty far away, appreciate the offer though. I'll probably end up heading the same route as you though and heading to lowes tomorrow for some supplies!

Back