my condi is acting funny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jojopotato25

i bought it 4 days ago and all was fine untill i got home from school today. It was retracted back into itself and and had a long gooy brown goop coming out of its mouth. I did a 50 percent water change and siphoned out the brown stuff. Ive fed him twice since ive had him(defrosted formula one) and the only thing wrong with the water when i tested it out is that the nitrate was at 20 ppm. after the water change it was back to 0. its been about 4 hours now and it staring to let its tenacles come out again but its still small and skinny. not fat and long like it normally is. well anyway,is my anenome dieing?

20 is quite high for an anemone to withstand. Even a Condi. The water change will help as well. How old is this tank? Also I would cut back on the feedings. What type of lights do you have? That is where it should get most of its food.

There's more of a shock with such a big water change
New saltwater has a caustic nature if not allowed to balance and "sit" with a 50% change.

Well keep an eye on it. Even if it is dieing all you can do is your best to hospital it along.
Just don't do anything dramatic!

thanks for the replys. i have an eclipse 6 and i jsut swapped out the tube it came with a hagen power glo 10,000k 8 watt.i let my tank cycle for two months before i added anything. i dont get why my nitate shot like that. i ran out of ammonia tests so i have to grab some tommorow. the condi looks alot better now since i siphoned the crud up. looks like the first day i got him. heres a pic of it when it started acting normal again. http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/7904/condicz2.jpg

Back