my first compact fluorescent

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmac

got rid of my old hood and bought the coralife double linear strip with 96watt 10,000k daylight and 96 watt true actinic 03, when i turn on the daylight lamp on and the actinic lamp on, the color inside the aquarium has a slight yellowish or green? is this because of my water?

Hmmm...Could either be that or the bulbs, but don't see why if the bulbs are new:confused: If the 10K is a yellowish color on it's own as some 10k's can be quite yellow in comparison to other 10K's and you add blue to it, yellow and blue does make green, but not sure if that applies to lighting in an aquarium. Are you running any carbon? If not, I'd run some and see how the tank looks after about 24 hours or so to see if the carbon asborbed anything in the water that may be discoloring it...Just a thought.:)

after looking at the bulb it doesn't have that yellowish color thank you for reply kirsh

after looking at the bulb it doesn't have that yellowish color thank you for reply kirsh

No problem...:) Must be the water then I'm thinking like you mentioned. Free floating algae spores will make the water appear green sometimes which equipment like UV sterilizers will take care of from my understanding. Any other discoloration, carbon should be able to take care of. :)

Back