My First Reef Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pblutang

I picked up a 55 gallon set up and inteded to raise my Tropheus fry in it. The tank was previously used for salt water and had a custom sump built in. The whole sump, plumbing return thing was too overwhelming for my little brain. I said I start out slow but being patient was not easy. If fact not patient at all. I was the crazy guy picking up all kinds of things and odd times of the day and driving to where ever to get it. I've met a lot of really cool people along the way.
Here are some pictures of my first reef tank. Im still exciteded and envisioning the next step. 120 gallon with a sump, fuge and the works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51817985@N06/4767173856/in/photostream
photostream

a>

Looking really good and clean for only a month old.

I know the feeling of needing one stupid 30 cent fitting and needing to drive all over everywhere so I can finish a project that night.

I noticed my sand is starting to get a brown tinge on it. Is this part of getting everything established? It only gets brown where the lights hit. I guess it must be an algae bloom. All my parameters are good.

It's more than likely Diatom Algae. We have the same thing. I guess if you keep your parameter good and stable for several weeks it goes away. We are in the same place right now... waiting.

Every new tank goes thru the diatom bloom stage..it is normal..this stage varies from tank to tank..but it will go away..

this tank is only a month old? did you buy this with all the fish and corals or did you add this yourself?

If it's only a month old, I fear for your mandarin. Does he eat frozen food? Because if he relies on copepods for food, you probably don't have enough to keep him happy very long.

Nice looking tank!! That Sail fin will out grow your tank pretty quickly. That's a good thing, it'll give you a good reason to super size your tank.

Back