MY Hawaii trip :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I saw that MarineTeng had a thread going so I figured I would post some pics of my Hawaii trip as well. My wife and I stayed in Kihei Maui at a condo right on the ocean. We were there for six days for our best friend's wedding. I probably snorkeled for a few hours every day but I don't have an underwater camera to take any pics, unfortunately. The scenery was beautiful and it was amazing to see a ton of fish in their natural habitat. Anyways, here are some scenery shots that I took in Kihei and on the road to Hana. I'll post more as I get time to process them. Enjoy!

View from my condo:
Kihei2.jpg

Sunset from the first night I was there:
Kihei_1.jpg

Kihei_3.jpg

Kihei_4.jpg

Road to Hana:
Hana1_900.jpg

Hana3.jpg

Hana6.jpg

Hana8.jpg

Rick, thanks for sharing. Brings back very fond memories. Our last trip, they were holding international wind surfing tourny at Hookipa bay also known as "Jaws," near the town of Paia. Was nice to stop and watch for a couple hours after the Hana drive. Amazing vacation

Shot with C2040Z at 2007-07-18

I actually remember driving past Paia and watching all of the wind surfers in the water. Looked like some crazy stuff!

Rick, thanks for sharing. Brings back very fond memories. Our last trip

omg dood i didn't know you were into wind surfing !!! :eek:

i can't believe you're the last one getting into the water but i guess you gotta watch what the other are doing so you can get a better score :D:lol:...j/k ...unless :shock:

those are some amazing pictures, i wish i had brought my slr, i thought it might be too cumbersome and that i would have to worry about it maybe being stolen

Hawaii is an amazing place

Rick, are these more of your HDRs? What sources did you use to learn this stuff? You've clearly come to understand how to use it well, and I commend you for that. Typically, the effect is over the top, and yours is much more subtle than I'm used to.

Yep, all of these pics are HDR's. I use a mix of software; Photomatix pro to create the HDR and then CS3 to finish them off. I do real estate and architectural photography on the side and generally and probably process 100-200 pictures a month with this technique. Granted that every shot is different but I've become quite familar with how to get the look that I want. I really strive to have the photo appear more natural as it does to the eye rather than over the top as many HDR's do, so I really appreciate your comments. It's really trial and error to see what works best. Download Photomatix (http://www.hdrsoft.com/) and give it a whirl.

How far are you bracketing, and how many photos are you using? Let's do a "for instance." The second to last photo (Hana6.jpg), how many exposures, and at what EV/bracketing steps? Are you shooting with a small aperture to maintain a high depth of field? I'm noticing the leaves on the bottom right are still in focus.

Have you ever shot a FTS like this? There's a LOT of dynamic range in there, does Photomatix lock up with that kind of situation?

(downloading trial version now, thanks)

Rick, thanks for sharing. Brings back very fond memories. Our last trip, they were holding international wind surfing tourny at Hookipa bay also known as "Jaws," near the town of Paia. Was nice to stop and watch for a couple hours after the Hana drive. Amazing vacation

Shot with C2040Z at 2007-07-18

didnt u love the hana drive. i loved it but then again i wasnt driving and u loved maui didnt u.

1993, The drive to Hana was a blast.
I love Maui almost as much as Kauai.
Some day I will live there. Should have bought years back, Hawaii is in my blood

How far are you bracketing, and how many photos are you using? Let's do a "for instance." The second to last photo (Hana6.jpg), how many exposures, and at what EV/bracketing steps? Are you shooting with a small aperture to maintain a high depth of field? I'm noticing the leaves on the bottom right are still in focus.

Have you ever shot a FTS like this? There's a LOT of dynamic range in there, does Photomatix lock up with that kind of situation?

(downloading trial version now, thanks)

Hana6 is was five exposures from -2 to +2 E/V. This of course will depend on how the scene is originally metered. That picture worked fine with 5 stops difference but the first one (sun shinning on the field) still had some blown out spots, even at -2 E/V. I still could have used a few extra stops on the negative end to help that shot. And I do use a small apeture to keep everything in focus, generally F/8-F/11. I've done a FTS using HDR but it actually doesn't work very well. You may be surprised but there is actually very little dynamic range when compared shooting straight into the sun. I find shooting a single exposure and messing with the RAW works bestter.

Back