My lighting options

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

I have a 70 gallon and use a 36" Coralife Pro that has PC and MH, but only 1-150w. I am now going to set up a 125 gallon which is 72" long.

I currently keep mostly softies with 2 SPS under the MH. Wondering what would be the best path to pursue. I don't like pendants becuase I seem uncapable of making sure that they hang correctly.

Don't know if a feasable option is to use the existing light at one side of the tank and get a fixture with 2 250w for the other end. I have never heard of anyone doing this...not sure how odd the lighting would look.

Appreciate your feedback and help. Don't have a ton to spend since I have to buy a lot of LR and LS.

Well, if your only holding softies, you dont need MH's. If cost is an issue, this is a good thing:D! However, if you already have one, use it, and supplement it with VHO, T5's or PC's. (Your two stonies will still love you!) Upgrade to another MH fixture when more funds become available at a later date. Again, soft corals do not need MH's. I have a 120 gallon softie tank (72" long), almost 5 years running now, on six (6) 48" VHO's, and my corals have shown incredible growth over the last few years.

I know there varied opinions, but for what its worth, get what you can afford, and like everything in this hobby, take your time, and upgrade as you go. If your system is currently working with the light you have, then there is no reason it wouldnt work on a larger tank (although.. smooshed to one side:lol:) Hope this helps!

Jaybo

Jaybo: thank you for the reply and good info. I really like the Coralife Pro light, but the 150w MH leaves a bit to be desired. Here is a real newbie question....are T5's the only VHO or are there many kinds of VHO's?

t5, t8, and t12 are bulb sizes relating to the diameter of the bulb... typically VHOs are t12 sized bulbs with "very high output" (hence VHO... t5's are smaller diameter and typically carry the designation of "HO"...also "VHOs" have internal reflectors within the bulb whereas t5s use individual external parabolic reflectors... hth

Lights

There are really 5 different ways to light an aquarium.

The first is to use natural light. Some folks down south have done very well with this. By positioning the tank in a room that gets full sunlight, it is possible to maintain a great system. There are draw back, algae growth being a BIG one.

The second, is VHO bulbs. These bulbs come in a variety of lenghts and wattage output. They come in a variety of sizes as well. T5's HO (high output) T8's (not so common anymore) and T12's VHO (Very High Output) and T12 NO (Normal Output) These are all flouresent bulbs. T5's are smaller diameter and dont put off a lot of heat and they wattages vary by bulb lenth, T12's are larger diameter, but put out more wattage of light per same length of bulb as a T5, but do get hotter. T8's are inbetween, but typically only 40 watt. I guess I should point out that VHO and HO bulbs need a special balast to light the bulbs, as they require more oomph than a 40watt kitchen light fixture which are usually tar ballasts. Electronic ballasts are great for the higher wattage bulbs, as they stay cooler, and use less power to operate than tar ballasts.

Third are Compact Flouresant. CF Lightng. These little guys are exactly that. Small, compact, and work great. Lots of light in a small space. They come in a variety of lenths as well, but most commonly used now with MH'd in the fixtures that people purchase.

Fourth are the Metal Halides. MH. You are familiar with these, so I wont get into that. There are Hundereds of articles written on the "best bulb" for your tank, however, like anything with this hobby, finding something that works for you, might not work for someone else.:oops: (unfortunately that is a true statement) They do require special balasts, and typically the bulb, pendant or reflecter, and balast are all sold separately. (package deals are available, but cost ya about the same as build your own with the items YOU want).

The last lighting solution is a very new technology, but a very expensive one at this time is the L.E.D. Lights. These do not get hot, life expectancy is supposed to be a LONG time, and the power consumption is supposed to be very low. The future is looking very bright for these units, however, they are still working issues out with them, and the price is still a bit out there for most people.

I hope this helps. A great source for decent priced lighting is HELLOLIGHTS.COM

my advice would be to save up and retrofit 3x250w mh's into a canopy with the best reflectors you can buy... it's hard to beat the look, flexibility, and color choices of a good mh setup ;)

Back