My MJ Mod+Swirl Stein Report

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

My project is done. It's been running constant for 3 days now with no problems. So far, I'm really happy with it. I'll be even happier when it's still running in 6 months. The only thing I would change about it is I'd use a smaller prop. I used the Dumas 3004 prop in my 75g, when i think a smaller prop would have sufficed. So now I've got the flow and lighting for SPS. Yeah.

Looks great zenn!! I'm sure your corals will love it. BTW which mj did you mod and how tough was it to make the swirl stein?

Brian

Looks awesome. lots of flow for a 75. Is that the only powerhead in the tank? Also, Could you post a parts list for the swirlerstein. Thanks

I did a smaller prop and wish mine was bigger. I have had mine running for a couple months no problems.

I did a smaller prop and wish mine was bigger. I have had mine running for a couple months no problems.

I had troubles at first getting the MJ 1200 to spin the Dumas 3004. I think part of the problem might be that the propeller is litterally an 1/8 of an inch away from the center brace on the end of the shroud. Do you think if I push the prop back further towards the MJ that it'll be easier to spin?

During the first few hours of running, the MJ mod reversed itself. This is bad because it really spits up water into the canopy. I don't want that to happen. So coming back to what I said about pushing the prop back further towards the power head...i think would help with that. Also, I know some people have added some kind of safety or stopper that will keep the prop from reversing itself. I don't know how to do that. Have any info on that Brad?

Looks great zenn!! I'm sure your corals will love it. BTW which mj did you mod and how tough was it to make the swirl stein?

Brian
it's the mj 1200. The swirlstien was easy to make. I'm a DIY guy though. I got it right the first time.

Is that the only powerhead in the tank? Also, Could you post a parts list for the swirlerstein.
Yes, it's the only powerhead. I use to have 2 MJ 600's and 1 900 in there. But with the MJ mod i removed all of them. I still have the two return nozzles that keep the other side of the tank flowing.

Parts include:
Dumas 3004 prop
Rigid airline tubing
super glue
MJ 1200
SS rod
Pre-cut MJ mod shroud
Center brace
endcap from original rod
washer (this was big in keeping the mj mod quiet. I put a washer on the end of the center brace and threaded the rod through it. The washer is just big enough for the rod to fit through. This makes it so the rod won't jump around in the center brace hole. You could avoid this whole problem by drilling an hole that is exactly large enough to allow the rod to fit through it and no excess space. )

It is very similar. I broke off the plastic part that goes through the magnet and only kept the back cap plastic piece. THen I glued the rigide ariline tubing into the magnet and to the old plastic end piece that i kept.

did you build your mod with one prop or two?
it's just one Dumas 3004.

Thanks for all the comments. I tried to answer all the questions.

Last edited:
Back