My new 120 upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattseattle

This tank has been in the works for almost a year. I bought this tank from MacBeth about a year ago. It was his dream tank but somehow I ended up with it so it's my dream tank now. I meant to have it set up last summer but we bought a house and the tank got pushed down the list. Now it's time to resurrect it and to finally introduce some fish and corals to it. I should've started a thread earlier with pictures as it was drilled and all but I always forget to bring the camera out when tank stuff was going on.

First off I want to thank Scott & Colleen for all the help with the tank. Scott helped me drill all the holes in the tank for the closed loop. He's also my savior today as he had some weld on 16 so I could fix the over flow.

So the tank is an IAP 60 x 19 x 24 tank which is a nice upgrade from my current 55 gallon old Seaclear 48 x 13 x whatever tank. :) It's small is all I can say and a pain to aquascape.

For flow the tank will a closed loop systeming consisting of an Oceans Motions 4-way along with a Sequence Barricuda to drive it. For a sump it's a 45 gallon sump that was built and designed by 'big t' and MacBeth. It's truely a piece of art. For return system the pump will be a Sequence Dart plumbed into 2 returns at opposite ends of the tank. For nozzles on both the closed loop and return system I will be using Oceans Motions 1" OmniFlex nozzles. They have a rotation and adjustability 0 - 135 degrees.

newomniflex-nov30.jpg

Pretty sweet nozzles but they are not cheap. For a skimmer I will be using the Deltec APF600 which is rated for a 270 gallon tank or 200 gallon heavily loaded. I went with a skimmer rated for almost double my tank just cause!

Let's see what else...for lighting that is still in the design stages. Most like it's going to be 2 or 3 x 250w metal halides along with either T-5 or VHO supplementation.

Ok, now for some more pictures....

A photo of the Sequence pump and the OM 4-way
P4160001.jpg

The tank is on it's side due to I'm having to get inside the overflow box to seal it with Weld on. It's actually not as difficult as I first thought. Luckily I don't have huge hands. :)

P4160002.jpg

My 2 Durso stand pipes. One will be used for normal flow and the second one will be my redudant overflow in cause the first one clogs up. The second one will be up a little higher. I couldn't come up with a reason to run 2 at the same time at the same height. I thought the emergency issue worked better.

P4160011.jpg

Oh this picture shows the end panels on the stand. On the stand each end comes out so you can slide the sump in or out as well as reach things easier.

P4160012.jpg

Starboard - this was custom cut by Jason @ CFG. I highly recommend him for any of your acrylic fabrication needs! :)

P4160013.jpg

that is great matt. I am glad to see you putting together your dream tank. You have been collecting and researching for forever. You are going to be so much happier with the bigger tank - esp the depth. Much easier to aquascape. Personally I love the 5' tank. The perfect size.

May I ask what we were using the weldon for?

Mat

Back