My New 50 gallon tank trimless with cree leds

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishsticks86

This has been a long 2 months project but its all well worth it. I spent the last 10 hour moving everything, its been a very very very long night. Anyways here's my old biocube and here's my new tank. Got more work to do but I think my back is shot right now. And yes you can slide the sump out :bounce:
Out with the old
IMG_0497.jpg

and
ba53ab94.jpg

that looks great!!
it'll look even better after it's matured a little..
if it was me i would dich that frag rack in there,
and maybe add more rock for biological and aesthetics,
unless your hiding a lb per gal in there... :)

....and no reason to leave a algae scrubber in a topless braceless tank.. ;)

I second that motion! Its totally up to u as its ur tank but id add more rock and plaster that coral all over it...not literally of cousre.

Looks like an awesome tank.
Skimmy hit it on the head. Better add some more rock. How many lbs do you have in there?
There are a couple of good deals in the RF classified right now.
I am also not a fan of a frag rack in any tank. Use some imagination to get your starter/ coral /frags closer to the light. You have proven you have the ability, with your sump slide.

Thanks everybody. Yeah its just temporary for now, I have more live rock that I dried out and curing in a bucket not even sure when its ready to be use. I don't want to go through another cycle so i'll take my time. Got a lot more to learn thanks to y'all. Biggest mistake was to get into this hobby because I'm addicted and broke! haha

Last edited:
Sweeet setup Fishsticks, looking forward to its progression here. On the LR, depending on how much life was on it when you dried it you should be able to tell when ready by smell or lack there of. If you add some of your active aquarium water containing the correct bacteria it will speed up the curing process quite a bit.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks TJL, I think the rocks are ready its been sitting in that bucket for a about month now but no smell anymore. I'm slowly introducing some small ones into the sump.
Here's a little update. I added 24 more crees and kind of underestimated the power of leds. Just a little :biggrin1:.
I made this over the weekend. Fitted 4 meanwell driver and the dimmer
9e7afb69.jpg

and here's the current fts can't wait to do some rockscaping
dcbcc2cb.jpg

very nice. Did you start out going bare bttom and switched to sand bed? looks that way from the shots. Was there a reason for not doing the BB.

Great looking tank as with lot of decoration. As these aquarium plants in 50 gallon tank looking like a garden as well adjusted and place according to tank space.

Back