My new 75 gallon tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jamiehill

Utini
This thread is to chronicle my first foray into saltwater. I have had a few freshwater tanks years ago, but have always had the itch to have a reef setup. I finally got my chance when I found a used 75 gallon reef ready acrylic tank with rock, VHO lighting, a skimmer and a few pumps / powerheads.

75g acrylic aquarium drilled with corner overflow. Included a stand and the hood with lighting.
4 light VHO setup with 2daylight and 2 actinic bulbs and Icecap ballast.
100 pounds of formerly live rock.
Red Sea Berlin skimmer
Rio 1700 pump
2 smaller powerheads
3 heaters (Jaeger and Tronic?) 100-250W

The previous owner had let the tank die while on vacation and had drained all but about 3 inches of water. There was coralline algae all over the aquarium. This looked like it could be a good project, but I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into. Here is a picture of the tank when I first got it.
IMG_0652.JPG

And the inside of the tank, before cleaning.
IMG_0648.JPG

I got everything home and into the garage and started to clean and test the equipment. My first task was to fill the tank with freshwater to make sure there were no leaks. At the same time, I decided it would be a good time to clean up the algae from the sides and front. I started off with an acrylic scrubbing pad. This did not work very well, so I decided to use an old credit card. While this worked much better, the card could not hold up to the job. I went to my LFS and bought a Kent-Marine acrylic scraper and that plowed right through the buildup.

The sump that the previous owner had had been cracked, so I decided not to take it. I went out and got a 20g aquarium that is now being used as a sump. I am going to add baffles in order to get the flow correct and avoid microbubbles.

After getting the tank cleaned up and letting the water sit for a couple days, it was time to move everything upstairs into the house. This went off without a hitch, but once I got everything upstairs, I noticed that the scraper had scratched up the acrylic pretty bad. After some searching on ReefFrontiers and ReefCentral, I settled on using Novus polishing compounds and some 1200 and 2500 grit wet/dry paper. It took a few hours, but the acrylic looks almost new again. I decided not to bother with scraping the algae from the back of the tank, as I like the fact that it serves to break up the black back a little.

Next up was to get the plumbing hooked up and get some water in the tank. I filled to about 2/3 capacity and adjusted the SG to 1.024. From there I added in the rock and topped off the tank and added about 8 gallons in the sump.

IMG_0666.JPG

Since the rock I had was effectively dead, I decided to purchase about 30 pounds of live rock to use as seed to bring my other rock back to life. This rock was added to the tank and is really starting to color up well.

I am starting to see a little Ammonia and Nitrates in my testing of the water. Here are the levels of my first testing on 4/18.

Ammonia: 0.35
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: about 30
Ph: 8.2

Once things settled down a little, I added some live sand that I got from Tangee. This sand has all kinds of worms and pods in it that I can watch crawl around inside the tank.

It took a couple days for the sand to settle. I decided to take this time to work on the baffles in my sump. I added 4 baffles into the sump that divided it into 3 chambers. The drain from the tank, what will later become a refugium, and a chamber for the return pump. The skimmer will not fit in the sump, so I will be running it outside the sump in the cabinet.

Here is a picture of the sump tank after adding the baffles.
IMG_0723.JPG

As of last night, my water tests are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: .1
Nitrates: 20
Ph: 8.2

This morning before hooking up the sump, I decided to do a water change. I changed out 30 gallons, so about 33%.

I added water to the tank until it reached the level of the overflow. I then filled the sump a little higher than the baffle line so that the water would flow through correctly. After the water change, it was time to turn on the pump and make sure that the new baffles in the sump worked correctly. I had to add about a gallon of extra water to get the level in the sump correct. The new baffles work great and I no longer get bubbles in my return flow.

Here is a picture of the tank as it looks now.
IMG_0722.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

JH

Hey Good save on a dead tank. It looks nice. Here is something that is a little late to help you but may help someone else. Vinager, cleans dead coraline off like nobodys business. Just spread it around, let it sit for about 10 mins. and just wipe of with a credit card or the kent acrylic scraper like you did. Makes it real easy and soft so it doesnt scratch stuff up as bad. Looks like you did a good job on the poslishing and I like the sump. Steve

great work man. You are really doing a good job of educating yourself. You will find that in this hobby you learn a TON. Especially in the beginning. You are already doing it right the first time and are patient enough to do well in this hobby.

Mat

It's looking great Jamie! That must have been some sandstorm! I'm glad all the microlife survived the move. You did a great job cleaning up and polishing that tank, it looks awesome.

Susie

Thanks for the replies everybody. I just got my new pumps in today, so I will be able to get the skimmer up and running tonight. Should be able to pull a bunch of junk out of the water. I had everything turned off while I was working on the sump and noticed a lot of stuff on the surface of the water that I could not see while the water was flowing.

I like your deep sand bed Jamie :)

The rock structure looks great, too!

This will be an awesome tank.

- Elmo

I got home a couple nights ago and found diatoms all over the sand and rock. Since my ammonia and nitrates were at 0, I decided it was time for the cleanup crew to go to work. I went out and got 10 hermits, 2 turbo snails and a coral banded shrimp. While I was at it, I picked up 2 green chromis for the tank. I drip acclimated everybody for an hour and added them to the tank. The snails and crabs are going to work on the algae, and the chromis are loving their new home. The shrimp is crawling around the rocks and exploring all of the caves that I added.

Nice job, i hope you save lots of money by goin about it that route, that is what ill be doin too, so i love seein a good success story!

Great job bring life to the tank! Keep the pics coming! What are you plans for the tank....do you have a livestock list in mind?

Love the cat!!!

As far as plans for the tank, I am going to keep it fish only for probably about 6 months to a year in order to really establish itself. After that, I would like to slowly add some soft corals. In the mean time, I am going to try to add only reef safe fish, so that when I make the switch I don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

My stocking list looks like this:

More Snails and Hermits
Fighting Conch
1 or 2 Sand Sifting Stars
2 Percula Clownfish (true)
Yellow Tang

I would like to add those and probably 1 or 2 other fish, but I haven't decided which ones yet. The list above is also the order in which I want to add them.

Jiddy said:
Nice job, i hope you save lots of money by goin about it that route, that is what ill be doin too, so i love seein a good success story!
Jiddy,

I did save quite a bit of $$$ on the setup, but I have probably put about 60 hours into the cleaning and setup of the tank, so you kind of have to decide if you want to spend the extra time getting everything in working order. It has been worth the time I have put into it though, because with all of the work I have done, it makes me appreciate having the tank more than if I was just to go and and buy a new setup.

JH

Hey Jiddy,

I think I got a good deal for everything. The guy sold me the tank, stand, lights, skimmer and everything else for $300. I have put probably another $400 into the tank in buying the sump, pumps and powerheads, extra rock and other goodies.

Jamie

Back