My new chillers...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KRMNAL1

Are made out of plastic and they say "Aquafina" on the side :rolleyes: whats up with the 90's here in Seattle :mad: Frozen water bottles in the sump will only do so much so I am on the lookout for a good used chiller, my temp got to 84* yesterday when I noticed my Xenia looking wilted and an anenome closed up. I put a zip-loc freezer bag full of ice in the sump 3 different times and turned off the lights hoping everything would be ok. Today everything seems to be ok except for the Xenia is still a little wilted and I'm trying to decide if that is good or bad, I have only had the VHO actinics on today and I must ask how long can my corals survive without my MH's ?

This weather sucks !! it's not supposed to be this hot in Seattle until August, what gives. If someone would kindly inform the weather gods to bring back our cool cloudy mornings and warm 70* afternoons we are used to and maybe even throw in a little overnight rain, it would be much appreciated. Seriously though I am interested in knowing what size of chiller I will need and about how much I can expect to spend for a used one. I have a 55 now but plan to upgrade to a 75 before winter and if anyone is interested in some Bose home theater equipment I have some more for sale so I can buy a chiller

Sorry to hear about your heat issues Mike... :doubt: I live in the Bahamas so I feel your pain. I've been through it all trying to get the temp down and stable and ended up getting a chiller to put it all to rest. Here's the one I have now on my 75gal which I see Bob is carrying now @ Aquarium Extreme. This will give you an idea of what one would cost new that would cool your tank perfectly. I hope you get sorted out soon:) http://www.aquariumextreme.com/mm5/...Code=AE&Product_Code=PCMICRO&Category_Code=HN

Mike,

Luckily I have a chiller the past few days and it's been well used. I think it's clicked on 3 times today alone.

I went with a JBJ 1/4 HP chiller when I had the 55 gallon and the reason I did was for growth when I went with a larger tank. I'm glad I did as the 1/4 HP runs only for a short time and cools the water well. You could probably get away with a smaller chiller if you only see yourself going up to a 75 gallon. I highly recommend the JBJ brand as it's extremely quiet. The fan in my canopy makes more noise than my chiller and it's a 42 db fan.

It's probably going to be tough to find a used chiller this time of year. You could definitely call Bob @ Aquarium Extreme and see what other options he may have for chillers.

Hey Mike: I've been doing the frozen bottles in the sump today as well! Yesterday my tank hit 84 before I was able to get some extra ventilation & turn the lights off. Today I broke down & ordered a chiller. I have a 90g & went with a JBJ 1/5 hp from vividaquariums.com. They seem to have pretty good prices. I spoke to them & they think it may arrive as quick as 2 days via ground...I hope so!

Rob

Back