My new generator arrived this morning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gas4544

Montipora Keeper

I got back into reefing a year ago, and now I have three small tanks running with plans to set up a 75-gallon tank soon. With winter approaching, I was not comfortable with not having a back-up power supply. Every winter, I can count on at least one wind storm knocking out my power.

I have a 300W power inververter that I had used years ago by hooking it up to my idling car and running a long extension cord into the house. It saved my reef on two or three occasions when our house lost power.

Earlier this summer, I purchased an Xantrex Powersource 400 for one of my tanks. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6LEI2
I have two Koralias hooked up to it to keep water moving in the tank during a power outage.

And today, I received my new Honda EU2000iA generator: http://www.wisesales.com/EU2000iA.html

I had researched generators for a couple of months and originally wanted a larger generator providing 5000w or more. I figured that if I was going to buy a generator, I may as well get one that will power more than just my aquariums. We do not own our home, so I do not have the option of installing a power subpanel.

Then I stumbled across the small, quiet, reliable Honda EU2000iA generator. It gets good reviews and holds its value. If I need more power in the future, I can buy a second similar generator and connect it in parallel.

The suggested retail price listed on the Honda website for this unit is $1100, and if I purchased it locally it would cost almost another $100 for sales tax. I got my new generator delivered to my door with shipping included for just over $900.

I feel much better now nowing that I have a back-up power source.

How many of you have back-up power sources for your tanks?

Gary

I have a 65k watt gen. wired into it's own circuit box.

It's been a reef saver many times.

Last edited:
4500watt powermax gas generator. got mine for 350 shipped. i labeled certain powerstrips so i know which ones need power to the generator

I know a guy that had a military grade 45kw generator and a transformer at his house......hmmm

I have the xantrex 400 as well for my immediate back up.

Since I live in an apartment, I was pretty limited when it comes to generator options. I was able to find an old honda generator that only pushes 500 watts. Its small, reliable, and pretty quiet as far as generators go. Its just enough to run heaters(or a fan) and all my pumps. I can't run my halides obviously, but the tank will be ok for a few days without light. If the city of Seattle loses power for more then 4 or 5 days, then something catastrophic has happened and my fish tank is the least of my concerns =P

What would be a good whole house generator?

Anyone? Also to add I have a couple natural gas attatchments outside the house for things such as BBQ grills, outdoor heaters and generators and what ever else that uses natural gas.

Hmm....In the long run I would say Gas/JP-8 up front def a NG powered generator. Then again Sarang could say he was going green.....;)

I know there are generators that can run on natural gas. I was looking at one at costco a couple years ago and If I remember right it was around $2000 bucks. I should've gotten it when I had the dollars. Reason why I ask is to see if anyone out there has one of these guys installed to there house and if someone like myself that knows nothing about installing things like this can do it.

I saw an add from Home Depot about a month ago, and I think they were asking about 8-10 grand for a whole system, ran on diesel I think. I think you definitely need an electrician to show up someyime during the process. If these things backfeed when the power guys are working on the outage, it can backfeed, that isn't good. I think we need ol' Scooter to chip in here, he is our resident electrician type!!!!

If he was going green, he would already have those solar panels installed!!!! He would have enuf power stored up for all of you guys over there!!!

I wish Charlie!!!! If I can afford it I would! I am not saying I'm all for green or anything but I do try to save where ever I can to keep some greens in my pocket.

Hmm speaking of greens in your pocket.....when you gonna start making some sick frags for me to buy? My 180 is almost done cycling

Hmm speaking of greens in your pocket.....when you gonna start making some sick frags for me to buy? My 180 is almost done cycling

Same here roscoe, same here. Maybe when I win the lottery and pigs fly:lol::lol::lol:

HAHAHAHA I'm moving some of my SPS into the 270g as I'm typing this (well not when I'm typing:D). They look tiny in there!! Seth you should come by and check them out. I would invite you Charlie but you live like on the moon or something like that:lol::lol::lol:. You know you are always welcome here when ever you decide to leave the moon.

Yeah I need to stop by. I also need to have a few people over to kick off both the new tanks in the house. I have just been working from 6am to 10PM everyday for pretty much 3 months straight getting ready for Afghanistan.

Back