Ca: 500 ppm
Phosphate: 0.35 ppm
Nitrite: 0.07 ppm
Nitrate: 9 ppm
pH: 8.4
Temp: 80F
Amonia: 0.15 ppm
Alki: 1.5 ppm

These results are based on the Red Sea test kit ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14692&N=2004+113074 )

According to the chart, the Nitrite and Nitrate are high. Amonia is pretty high. Phostphate is relatively high.

I am using the RO water and I have water change everyday (10% water change).

The tank is about 2 months old. and there is 2 tangs.

I feel like my RO device doesn't do a good job?

Please help me how to adjust the params.

Thanks for your help.

le9569

can you tell us a little more about your tank? how much (if any) live rock? what kind of substrate? What size tank?

The presence of ammonia and nitrite indicate that your bacterial levels are not yet sufficent to detoxify available nutrients....your tank is new, and you have livestock in there, this is part of the problem. How much are you feeding the tangs? The elevated phosphate levels are probably due to the same...you are adding them when you feed the tank.

In order to protect the fish, you need to get the ammonia down to zero and keep it there, do this with water changes. This will slow down the bacterial populations, but they will catch up.

If you are worried about your RO water, test it....see if it is adding nutrients to the tank...

MikeS

My tank is 46GL. There are quite lots of live rock and live sand. I ususally feed the tangs twice daily. I will reduce it down to one. All the food is eaten up to acceptable level.

I think the best way to remove the amonia is to change the water which I have done so in the last 5 days (every day, 10%).

Any other suggestions on how to reduce the "not needed" stuff?

Once again, thank you for your input.

le9569

well, with a large amount of LR and sand in a new tank, you are probably experiencing a major flux between bacteria populations and available nutrients. They will steady out, but it takes time. As stated above, you need to keep the ammonia at zero. If 10% daily isn't doing it, than increase that amount to the level where the ammonia stays at zero.

Other things you can do are carbon and skimming. Use activated carbon in the tank...and if you don't already have a protien skimmer, get one yesterday. For a tank your size, the AquaC Remora is a great skimmer under $200....a great investment in your tank if you plan on staying in the hobby...

2 tangs in a 46 gal tank? Tangs really need good sized tanks...bioload wise they are not too bad, but they do need lots of swimming room and they tend to be territorial...what species are they?

MikeS

Listen to Mike. He is right on the money.

I started my tank shotgun style (not knowing better) with just a few small fish. I selected hardier fish than tangs and a couple did die, but keep up with the water changes and eventually everything will work out.

I saw someone do a writeup of things they learned in the first several months of keeping salt water fish and his summary was "life likes to live". Basically his point was that even though everyone will tell you your water is really bad (because it is) don't freak out and lose interest or start putting chemicals in your tank, just do the best you can. If you follow good advice you probably won't kill everything. :)

Another thing to add here. What types of food are feeding? Flake, Frozen, Nori? Tangs require a balance diet consisting of main seaweed and some protien.

Not suggesting you go out and buy all new test kits, but Red Sea tests kits aren't known for the accuracy.

Sounds like Mike has already touched on the other items.

Back