My sump is up and running

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

Well after many long hours of work on this custom project it is finnaly up and running. I have taken out all my equipment from my 120 gallon cube and Plumbed it into the garage with a custom 120 gallon sump! I Have noticed a huge difference in the stability in the temperature already and the noise and heat is all in the garage now and not my family room!!!!
Next is to build a small room around the sump and install a 5800 btu AC and a heater to help with the temp swings in the garage.
Before I set up this sump my chiller ran 8hrs a day and with my garage at 65 degrees it has not came on one time yet in 36 hrs!!!

Here are a couple pictures!!
By the way I will be building a couple shelves for the skimmer, caclium reactor and kalk stirer...

diy014.jpg

diy018.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
WOW! I am way impressed! I might have to go advanced...yep for sure.

:) :lol: :razz: :idea: :shock: :rolleyes:
Kewl.

Hey Matt, I'm doing something similar with my 150, but not adding a room or AC. I can't get your pics to come thru, but would like to see what you got going on there.

It's good to hear that the benefits will be worth it once i'm done. It's a lot more work than I thought originally. I actually had to run 75' of 2" and 1" plumbing under the house in the sub-floor with only 3' of clearance to work in, while laying on rocks and vapor barrier breathing insulation particles while trying to cut and glue using a flashlight...(ugh!)

I'm sure you have stories as well ;)

Congrats on your project, now it's time for that ATO :D

Well after many long hours of work on this custom project it is finnaly up and running. I have taken out all my equipment from my 120 gallon cube and Plumbed it into the garage with a custom 120 gallon sump! I Have noticed a huge difference in the stability in the temperature already and the noise and heat is all in the garage now and not my family room!!!!
Next is to build a small room around the sump and install a 5800 btu AC and a heater to help with the temp swings in the garage.
Before I set up this sump my chiller ran 8hrs a day and with my garage at 65 degrees it has not came on one time yet in 36 hrs!!!

Here are a couple pictures!!
By the way I will be building a couple shelves for the skimmer, caclium reactor and kalk stirer...

diy014.jpg

diy018.jpg

Matt

"Qoute"
It's a lot more work than I thought originally. I actually had to run 75' of 2" and 1" plumbing under the house in the sub-floor with only 3' of clearance to work in, while laying on rocks and vapor barrier breathing insulation particles while trying to cut and glue using a flashlight...(ugh!)

I'm sure you have stories as well

Congrats on your project, now it's time for that ATO

Thanks a lot!
It was a lot of work and my house only has a 2' craw space with rocks and insulation so my was reall difficult!
The ATO runs with the Kalk reactor on the left side of the sump, it is up and running....

Matt

that's owsome ,,,well designed,,,i really like it:)

Thanks Dang, I am totaly blown away by how stable my temperature is now it has stayed rock steady at 77.2 during the day and when I wake up it is at 75.7 so a flucuation of 1.5 degrees when before it was from 77-83 each day!
Also with the Kalk top off system my alk and ph will stay stable much better...

Matt

Ohh and on day two of the sump having water in it there is already coraline algea growing in the sump!

David... I can relate! I have 5 pumps located in my crawl space 25ft from my sump/tank for noise and maintence access reasons. That's alot of flex pipe!!!

Hey Matt, I'm doing something similar with my 150, but not adding a room or AC. I can't get your pics to come thru, but would like to see what you got going on there.

It's good to hear that the benefits will be worth it once i'm done. It's a lot more work than I thought originally. I actually had to run 75' of 2" and 1" plumbing under the house in the sub-floor with only 3' of clearance to work in, while laying on rocks and vapor barrier breathing insulation particles while trying to cut and glue using a flashlight...(ugh!)

I'm sure you have stories as well ;)

Congrats on your project, now it's time for that ATO :D

Are you buying a particular daylight bulb from HD like a 6500K bulb? Or, are you using a HD fixture with a bulb from an aquarium store?

Wow, five pumps!

Well, with 75' of both, I used reg pvc for the straight runs, then a coupler, then on the turns to keep from losing flow from additional head loss thru a 90I used the flex.

David... I can relate! I have 5 pumps located in my crawl space 25ft from my sump/tank for noise and maintence access reasons. That's alot of flex pipe!!!

Congrats Matt, doesn't is feel good to do it yourself? I knew you had it in you, good job!

Back