My tank from the seventees

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

This picture was taken about 1973. The tank is still running but the glass was changed to it's current 100 gallons when I moved from there about 28 years ago. All the coral in that tank was dead and bleached as all salt water tanks were. There are no rocks, just dead coral. when the corals turned green we would take them out to bleach with Clorox. I can see blue devils, a clown and a hippo tang. I can't make out the rest and I don't hardly remember either. I do remember those blue devils spawning all the time.
Of course I look exactly the same right down to all that hair. :lol:
Paul

Look at this lower picture, And you guys go crazy with a little algae. During that algae bloom I had to teach the copperband butterfly how to use a weedwacker.
It went away on it's own as I knew it would with no slugs, rabbitfish grenades etc. Luckilly I don't get blooms like that anymore and the little I do get grows mostly in the trough.

Great pics. I was only a thought when you started reefing. Could you get live coral for your tank in 73?

QuoteGreat pics. I was only a thought when you started reefing. Could you get live coral for your tank in 73?

Brenden, no you couldn't get live coral in 73. You could hardly get fish. The salt water hobby started in New York in about 1972 and there was very few places where you could buy fish which only consisted of blue devils, dominoes, and seargeant majors in other words, damsels.

Maybe other places had them sooner, I don't know. There was a store here near the Trade Center that as far as I know was the first in NY to sell them and as far as I know, I was the first person to buy them but of course I probable wasen't.
Paul

Krish, I have socks older than you :badgrin:
I have amphipods older than you. Maybe bacteria older than you. :lol:
Take care buddy

Back in the '70s my Dad and his buddies were collecting and keeping Pacific Coast animals in totally jerry-rigged tanks. I remember they used to run hoses through refrigerators to chill their tanks.

Look at this lower picture, And you guys go crazy with a little algae. During that algae bloom I had to teach the copperband butterfly how to use a weedwacker.
It went away on it's own as I knew it would with no slugs, rabbitfish grenades etc. Luckilly I don't get blooms like that anymore and the little I do get grows mostly in the trough.

That is what my tank looked like for the past 3 months. I got fed up and changed the rock.

Great pics by the way!

that is awsome, my dad had a tank set up in the early 80's, and the pics look just like your first one. he told me that when he would clean his bottom filters the tank would be completly emptied and bleached. then after all that, he would fill it back up and dump fish in watching them lay on there side gasping! i guess that he didnt loose anything though so i think that fish now days arnt as hardy:p . anyways, i guess that is all you can you do though when there isnt reeffronteirs to help you along....

awsome tank i cant take mine down now!!!!!

Hey Hey we are the monkee's, some people say we monkey around...... sorry.

Paul, why didnt you just log onto reeffrontiers to find out you should of used LR instead of bleached corals

Krish, I have socks older than you
I have amphipods older than you. Maybe bacteria older than you.
Take care buddy

ROFLMBO!:p

Paul, why didnt you just log onto reeffrontiers to find out you should of used LR instead of bleached corals

...Because then, only Boomer would have been around:shock: :badgrin: :lol:

Krish, I have socks older than you :badgrin:
I have amphipods older than you. Maybe bacteria older than you. :lol:
Take care buddy

That was hilarious! Great pics. I'm the same age as Krish. Now that's what I call " Old School Reef! "

Back