My turn for a stupid question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krisfal

I have been on a well for over 20 years and have never worried about chlorine in the water I add to my tanks (when I did FW tanks I used to fill the tank directly from the tap). But I have received notice that our community well/water system will now be flushed monthly and they will "introduce chlorine into the water system for additional protection during periods of flushing". Since I received the notice yesterday and they started this today I turned off my RO/DI last night even though my ATO reservoir was not completely full.

So my question is will my RO/DI remove the chlorine? I know when I bought it from the filter guys I told them I was on a well so I do not know if the filters are different or if there is a special filter media for chlorine.

Thanks in advance for an answer to my rudimentary question, I know many who are on city water have already figured this out, but it is not something I have ever even had to give a thought to.

If your RO has a carbon prefilter it should remove the chlorine and chloramine provided that its not exhausted. If memory serves correct the either the carbon or the RO membrane will ionize any particals that pass through and then the DI will remove any traces of TDS left after the first few stages of the unit.

FWIW, I ran only a carbon filter and a DI cartridge on my garage frag system for near a year. The TDS read lower on this DIY system than it ever has on my big fancy six stage RO/DI unit

It has a carbon prefilter, replaced at the end of April, so about 6 months old. I probably on average have made about 50 gallons per week. Should I replace it to be safe?

The filterguys would be able to tell you how many gallons the filters are rated for...

Thanks everybody for the help!

I have sent an email to the filter guys!

Last edited:
From my knowledge of running a 6000 gpd RO unit, The Carbon filter has to be used to remove the chlorine. Chlorine will actually break down the ro membrane. So as long as you have a carbon prefilter you should be good.

It has a carbon prefilter, replaced at the end of April, so about 6 months old. I probably on average have made about 50 gallons per week. Should I replace it to be safe?

I would just replace it with a GAC filter from the filter guy to be on the safe side. The GAC will absorb more than the plain old carbon blocks.

Don

Reply from The Filter Guys

Here is the reply from the filter guys (they are awesome at answering questions-less than 12 hours for a reply-They were also great at answering all of my questions when I was trying to figure out which system to buy-I highly reccomend this company)

"You are due for a six month filter change but your current filters should have capacity for the chlorine without issue. Chlorine filtration is easy and your system has the highest capacity carbon block filters."

I ordered a new set of filters this morning, I am running thier ocean reef +1 system with the standard filter replacement set.

Back