Mystery Organism ID help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Eric

This organism appeared "out of nowhere" as so many of them seem to do. But what is really strange is that I have not added anything new to the tank for at least 3 months. It was probably on my live rock which came from a very established and healthy tank. My tank has been up and running for 7 months.

Anyways, it looks pretty much like someone took a piece of gum, and stretched it across my rock, and it grew tentacles. It is whiteish in color, is about 2 inches across, and very thin. It has long tentacles with prongs at the end (3-4 of them ranging from 1 inch to 3 1/2 inches) and sort of cone like bumps on it with circular holes at the top. Another one popped up recently.

I know that it will be hard to positively identify my mystery organism without a photo, but I am hoping that I can get some possible ID's for further investigation.

Any ideas? I would take a photo but it is in a place that is not very accessible, which is why I probably did not notice it until I saw one of its tentacles swaying around. I looked on several reef pest websites and I didn’t see anything that looked like it.

Thanks

Alright so I managed to take a somewhat recognizable shot of this thing.

What do you guys think?

The appendages on it don't remind me of any sponge I've ever seen.:eek: I think it is something else.:) :)

Anyone else??:confused:

I have lots of those too. They kinda look like maybe a sponge with some sort of small worm (not bad worm) living in a hole.

Having a reef is like having a living mystery in your living room.

I often have new things apearing, and that is what is the coolest part in my opinion.

Thanks for the helpful ID. I learned my lesson with majanos. Thought they were cute and harmless. They appeared when my tank was newer so anything new was good and exciting. Next thing I know my tank is full of them and they were killing my corals!

Just wanted to make sure this wasnt a pest. Looks like I can rest easy. Thanks everyone :)

Back