Nano Cube or Eclipse Systems?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

truebluesvt

I have always had freshwater fish and have finally decided to get into saltwater. I want to start with a complete system just because it seems easier and cheaper. Would you go with a Nano Cube or one of the saltwater Eclipse Systems setups? I have no idea what the difference is between the two. :cool:

Welcome to RF! I hope you enjoy it here...About the tanks, if it is one of those two you really want to choose from, I'd go with the Nano. Some of them these days come with skimmers (which is a must IMO) they have compact florescent bulbs for growing corals etc., and basically are just designed for saltwater use. The Eclipse systems I have seen are bascally just for freshwater. They can be converted, but it wouldn't make any sense with the extra money you'd have to put out. Best of luck with the setup nd glad you're here:)

P.S Does your screen name have anything to do with having a Mustang Cobra? If so, we've got car freaks here too so you may have to post us a picture one day:)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Hmmm....you've posed a tough question for me, because I love the nano cubes, however, I'm trying to figure out how to get a sump on my 12 gallon so I can add a good skimmer. I'm not sure I know what an Eclipse system is....how large? If you really want to go with a nano-cube, and this is your first marine tank, then I'd suggest the 24 gallon. The bigger you go, the more room for error you have. Topping off, adding supplements, water changes, temperature, etc. all have to be kept on top of because smaller water volume can experience big changes faster than larger water volume, which can be detrimental to a small tank. Depending on budget, you may be better off setting up a system youself, so you can piece together a good set-up and not rely on what comes with your tank.

Do you happen to have any tanks from when you kept freshwater that you can convert to saltwater?

The eclipse set ups are a joke for saltwater. I bought one when I first started out. (recommendation from a LFS worker) I replaced the hood/filtration within 2 months of purchase. It has the wrong lights,filtration and no place for a skimmer. It is not what you want. Save your money and piece one together yourself. You will be able to get much better equipment for the money. They do make nice QT tanks though.

Brian

I actually have a 2002 SVT Lightning. It's putting down 610hp and 730 ft/lbs or torque. I blew the first engine so went all out with the new one and put a cage in it. We're hoping for a high 10 second run when we take it to the track.

I actually have a 2002 SVT Lightning. It's putting down 610hp and 730 ft/lbs or torque. I blew the first engine so went all out with the new one and put a cage in it. We're hoping for a high 10 second run when we take it to the track.

Attaway!! That's cool man...:)

NaH2O said:
Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Depending on budget, you may be better off setting up a system youself, so you can piece together a good set-up and not rely on what comes with your tank.

Do you happen to have any tanks from when you kept freshwater that you can convert to saltwater?
I have a pretty nice freshwater system setup right now. My fiancee and I set it up a few months ago and I let her pick some fish she wanted so I don't think it would be a good idea to mess with that...at least not until after the wedding when she's stuck ;) .

When we graduate in May and move I may have to do that. It's a 30 gallon with an Emperor 400 filter system. I would just need to change the Bio Wheels and I should be ok right?

Depends on what you want to keep. Skimmers are an important piece of equipment. Sumps are nice to have, but not necessary. They keep things out of the display tank, like heaters, skimmer, other filtration. You can always do a hang on tank skimmer, powerheads for circulation, and lights (type depending on corals you'd like to keep). A great book is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner, and will help get you understanding terms and what goes into setting up a tank. It covers a lot of information - I highly recommend it. A lot goes into setting up a reeftank, so doing your homework before set-up will save you a lot of money and aggravation down the road, and will allow you to truely enjoy this awesome hobby. Also, things like test kits, hydrometers or refractometers, salt, heaters, RO/DI water...are often overlooked at the start.

Do you picture yourself keeping corals? Any fish you feel like you definately want to keep? Be sure to ask questions as they come to you, and we can help you figure out if they'll work with what you have (or will have). You've found a great resource, and the members here will help you out with their experiences....they've always been a big help for me.

NaH2O said:
Do you picture yourself keeping corals? Any fish you feel like you definately want to keep? Be sure to ask questions as they come to you, and we can help you figure out if they'll work with what you have (or will have). You've found a great resource, and the members here will help you out with their experiences....they've always been a big help for me.
I would love to keep corals. I also know I want to have at least a couple clownfish and sea anemones and fish that are compatible with them. I will definetly look for that book tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!:D

Back