Naso Tang Dying?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

76Frags

Came home today to find my 9 y/o Blonde Naso Tang swimming around disoriented bumping into things and sitting on the bottom a lot. No desire to eat at all. Checked the water parameters, and nothing appears to be off.

I'm guessing he's on his way out?:confused:

he's probably about 10 in. His eyes aren't cloudy at all - physically he looks decent, but his stomach area is a little discolored and thinner today.

Anything new added to the tank recently? Any changes to tank? Tank size, occupants, water params? Lee will need all that info!

hmm..pinched belly is not a good sign...everytime I've had a tang with a pinched belly has not ended well.

I wish the best for you (and the fish).

Netted him this morning. Watched him for 7 hrs on and off yesterday. He was arched sideways most of the evening, and everytime i would go to net him he would start to swim again. He did that over and over for the duration. I'm really puzzled at what got him. Even when I netted him his color was good and nothing out of the ordinary (other than the belly)

I wish Lee could chime in, did you read through his forum to come up with ideas maybe?
I would consider QT ASAP until you can determine If you can whats wrong.

WoW, really sorry to here about that. First I have to say congras on keeping this fish so lone. A definite sign of your good fish keeping. Do you have an idea of the age of the fish? How big was it when you got it? There seems to be disagreement online about the life expectancy of this fish but in captivity I’m will make a guess and say its probably less. Between 8 and 20 years seems to be the range for a wild tang.

I was hoping more specific info would be forthcoming. Without any additional details or photos there isn't much to say other than, 'Yes' the fish is dying.

They are expected to live up to and including 18" in captivity when fed/nourished properly and in a large enough space. (They are a good food fish to the people who live with them). I know of some over 18 years old. Usually food and space issues shorten their lifespan, when pathogens are ruled out.

Back