Nassarius snails?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

Can nass snails be kept in a tank with crushed coral substrate or does it have to be a substrate of a finer structure. If so, can it be fine ground coral (not quite as fine as sand, maybe half way in between)?

I have mine in a CC/southdown mix. I'd bet they prefer the sand, but fine CC may work, also.

I bought some when I had CC in my old tank. They made it just fine for a few months until I bought a new tank and went with Aragonite. Short term they were fine but I can't comment on long-term survival.

crushed coral substrate 13 months and counting!

Hi Steve I have 2 tanks one with crushed coral substrate and the other is a DSB I have Nassarius in both and they are doing fine I have stocked them light at a total of 40 for a 150 gallon Tank with the CC and about 30 in my 75 Gallon tank with the DSB...HTH...Jeff

immedicatdru2 said:
Can nass snails be kept in a tank with crushed coral substrate or does it have to be a substrate of a finer structure. If so, can it be fine ground coral (not quite as fine as sand, maybe half way in between)?

The Apprentice said:
I have Nassarius in both and they are doing fine I have stocked them light at a total of 40 for a 150 gallon Tank with the CC and about 30 in my 75 Gallon tank with the DSB...HTH...Jeff

I guess I don't consider that snail stocking 'light' :) More than i'd put, but if it helps with leftover foods that drop, then that is cool Jeff :)

Best,
Ilham

Back