Natural wave timer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
I just ordered the natural wave timer kit from Dr. Fosters & Smith, the 600 kit. Does any one have experience with this timer? I would like to know if it can be set up to overlap one another or is it just off/on at each cycle? In other words can it be setup so pump1 is on then while 1 is still running 2 will kick on before 1 shuts off? Is this what the third output is for? The one with the longer duration.

Tony,

I believe the first three outlets on the timer are timed in order and do not overlap. The control is for the length of duration. The last 3 outlets are hot all the time.
Scott

I have one, I no longer use it. They do overlap, imagine a square wave. The first outlet is a long period on, then long period off. Second is short on, off, third is short off, short on. The reason I quit using it is it destroyed 5 rotating powerheads and 4 aquaclear powerheads in 1.5 years. I got tired of repacing the power heads. It seems to destroy the magnetic drive that runs the impeller. I use it now as a extension cord for my bird light. It is adjustable to long or short sequence. I always used the longest sequence because I thought the constant on/off would tear up powerheads, I did not expect it to do so that quickly. This is just my experience you may have different results. However you may want to return it because I can see no reason why you would have a different result. If it had the soft start feature it would be a great idea. It does not. I hate to be the bearer of bad news though I hope it helps you, so you dont have to waste the money that I did. Steve

depends on the powerheads you use. i've read that they recommend using maxi-jet's with it since they have a better start.

Outlet 1 is double the time of 2 and 3. it's supposed to be used for dead spots and such. i really like the natural wave timer. works really well with my maxi-jet powerheads.

I think it's made by the same company that makes the maxi jets. It may be why they come in the kit. Thanks for the replies guys.

Hi Tony, Im using one... and i have 4 maxijets on it.. really like it... Im planning on adding one more natural wave i think to hame more random effect that im looking for.

Yes, you have this kind of setting...

outlet 1 on off on off
outlet 2 off on off on
outlet 3 off off on on

So if you were to only use outlets 1 & 3 it would be more random? I would actually like to use the three pumps that come with it, but it's going to be set up on a 10g nano and I'm sure those pumps are to big(size wise not out put) to have all three in such a small tank. Also heat would probably be an issue. I think I'll pick up one of those Titan heater/chiller units this spring so I'm not fighting heat this summer like I did last summer.

Yes, I agree its gonna be too big for a 10 g nano... maybe SCWD will do for you.
And yes... 1 and 3 will have a more random but also will have a dead / silent no wave portion...

Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll just have to step up to a bigger tank. ;) I thought about the SCWD, but this kit was the cheaper wave alternative. I've also heard to many stories of the SCWD clogging or making noise. Any truth to that? I'm planning on upgrading to a 20L soon so this unit would probably be easily transferred to that size tank.
I've never seen the Maxi jets. Are they a big size pump? I have a penguin 660 in the tank now. How are they compared to the penguin in size?

going 20 long is the way to go. Much more elbow room. not familiar with penguin but you can do a search on maxijets. Most LFS has them or any online vendor/sponsors we have here.

Also you can check here.

Thanks for the help katchupoy. :)
Hey Brian. Really? I never noticed and I look at the used equipment every time I go in there. Go figure. I stopped in there yesterday to to pick up some kalk. I took the kids into town to watch the spongebob movie :shock: so I stopped in. He has a nice looking squamosa in.

OK. The wavemaker came in today and the thing is awesome. The only problem is it did heat the water a little, but a simple clip-on fan over the sump took care of that. Also it makes a slight "CLICK" when it starts, but so far the corals are loving it. I was a little afraid the 600 series maxi(160 gph) would be to much flow for my little 10g nano, but it's just right.

Also the maxi-jets have the best hang-on system I've seen in a powerhead. It hangs nice and even and seems very tight. I can't wait to upgrade to a 20L so I can use all three pumps.
On a side note. I had to already take the wavemaker apart do to a bit of loose solder in the powerstrip. That would of sucked to have a short in the thing already due to poor quality control. :rolleyes:

Back