Need a little push ...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aja19919

I would like to start a 2nd reef tank at home. I have a new 55 glass tank with a 30 gal refugium and 2 circulating / power head pumps. That's it. The tank is not drilled.

I know I need a protein skimmer then I get confused with the rest of the equipment.

An external overflow box?

Deluxe CPR Continuous Siphon Overflows - Bulk Reef Supply

Some tubing to get the water up and down but how do I calculate the diameter? I noticed my out flow tubing is a hard rigid tube and the intake are smaller and more flexible.

Inflow Kit with Return Jet by CPR - Bulk Reef Supply

The skimmer will come with a pump, but then I need a pump for the clean water to get into the tank.

Eheim Compact Pump 300 - Bulk Reef Supply

How do I determine my gph?

Anything else other than lighting? I like the T5 so will hopefully find a used system for that and get new tubes.

Then where do I get my live rock from? I get nervous browsing craigslist. I probably could take some current live sand/rock that I have in the first tank to get things going in the second but don't have enough for both tanks.

My first tank came with everything so that is why I am sort of at a loss. I found a 60 gal on CL w/ a built in overflow but it was acrylic and sort of figured I could finish my new tank for the same amount of what he was asking for his system.

In my opinion you would be better off buying dry rock and seading it with a piece of your established rock. That way you are not getting pests that you dont know about.

Agree with iPisces. I like BRS, Dry Pukani! Its what I used for my tank :) Just seeded it with a small rock from my tear down tank.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

I agree on the dry rock thing also, as most 'live rock' sold is just mostly cured rock, and a lot of it is likely just dry that was thrown in a live rock tank at the LFS. It takes a little longer to color up and build the bacteria, but time is a lot cheaper than live rock.
size your return to the rating on your over flow, although, if you plan to run some reactors off it, up that a little. I have to say, I prefer drilled also. Most hang on overflows are hard to trust when there are power failures. I don't see a sump or heater in your list. You'll need to figure out whether you want a prebuilt sump, or try to customize an off the shelf.tank, and your stand may force you into one or the other. Good heaters are pricy but worth it.
good luck with your setup

How do I determine my gph?

To determine this you need to figure out what type of overflow you are going to use.
How many gallons per hour it is rated for.
Then you can pick a return pump.

The hole in the overflow pretty much determines the dia. of the drain pipe you will use.
The dia. of the flow side of the pump you choose will usually be the size of the return hose.
Both hoses can be either pvc or flexable tubing. The choice is yours.
Both work equally well.

In my opinion you would be better off buying dry rock and seading it with a piece of your established rock. That way you are not getting pests that you dont know about.

This is what I would do , after I got bryopsis and hair algae for rock I got.

Back