Need a Macro eater

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
I have some green hair alfae and some various macro algaes growing in my tank. I really don't mind the macros , but the hair algae drives me nuts. I need to know what is a good fish to get to eat all this stuff or do I need a couple different fish. I have a Kole Tang now and it's not touchin the macros. I have sea lettuce, some red gracilaria, and some stuff that looks like really small and thin ferns. I also had a bush like macro almost like chateo but had a rooted spot on a rock, I picked it and put it in the refuge and its growing faster than my chateo. Any Ideas will help.

won't help a lot with the hair problem but a starry blenny (or almost any blenny for that matter) will "mow" the lawn around where they like to hang out. Plus great fish to watch do their thing

I would like to know too what will eat the hair algae... my Kole tang and yellow tang would never touch it!

Both of your fish should eat it and usually prefer it. Any chance its something else that looks like hair algae? If you try feeding less to the tangs they will look elseware for food meaning the algae in your tank. Just a thought.

i had a rabbit fish who ate hair algae

I got a rabbit just for this purpose and he didn't touch it either. It was very fine green hair algae. It got long (1in) and no one touched it. Tried a couple of emerald crabs too but someone told me they will only go after it if it is very short. Maybe my fish were happy with the great frozen menu I provided... I don't know.

Back