Need a new camera

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

I am trading in my film camera stuff and they are giving me $100.00 which is better than throwing it out. So what do I buy. I am looking at around $400.00 and want something that I can screw filters on to the lenz. I was looking at a Canon Powershot SX20 12.1 MP digital.
The wide angle lenz is 20X wide angle optical zoom with Optical image stabilizer, 12.1 megapixels.
I am not a photographer but I need to take macro shots also. Can this camera do that or can I screw a close up lenz on it which I have.

Are there any other decent camera's for that price?
Thanks, I need to buy it on Monday in Manhattan

I would shoot Brie a PM from Barrier Reef Aquariums. She is a huge camera nerd LOL. Let me see what I can dig up, but I believe you can do what you want with that camera.

However you cannot change the lens out.

Last edited:
It look like to get the ability to change the lenses you will have to go with one of their EOS line of cameras. However I know ALL canon's have the Macro focus built in so I would try the lens out.
Too bad you can't do Ebay as the Canon rebels are about 400 on there

OK I went to B&H camera in Manhattan and bought a Canon SX 20. (By the way. that place is bigger than Home Depot) The thing seems to do everything and is even now cooking dinner for me.
They gave me $75.00 for my Nikon film camera and a zoon lens. They did not want my 75 to 300 mm zoom so I may just dump it.
The canon has a 500+ zoom and a macro where I can take pictures closer than an inch.
Thats exactly what I wanted. Now I have to read through the 100 pages to figure out how to do the things I hope Ican do like take a decent picture of the tank.
They just never seem to come out nice looking. Maybe my tank is just not nice looking enough. I think thats it. :D

Back