Need advice moving 14g biocube!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Prest0nC

I know it's not a large tank by any means but i've never moved mine and could use some advice. I have a 14g biocube I need to move from Seattle to Redmond. I have 2 fish a variety of inverts and softied/ricordia/lps/frogspawn etc. I don't even know where to start. How can I get my tank from point A to point B w minimal casualties? Thanks in advance

I would use big ziplock bags for the corals and a few 5 gal buckets from homedpot with the lids for some water and you rock

You can also find hot or cold packs as needed. If you want to save the water get about three bucket w/lids. You can divide the rock between two and put your sand in the other, divide the water between buckets. The hermits and snails should be fine in the buckets. Fish I would place in appropriate sized bags, the zip locs are fine but may check with your LFS for some bags if needed. Some O2 for the fish would be nice but not totally needed for the short move. Put the fish in a cooler or something that will keep the temp even during the trip. Don't open the box or cooler and look at them, it lets the heat out. Get to your new place, put in your base rock, add your sand, put in your rock and plug things in and get them circulating. Make sure your temp is up and open up the bags and float your fish add some water to the bags until they are acclimated and let them go. Temperatures are pretty reasonable right now. You may also be able to purchase a fish box or two from your local FS if you are worried about temp fluctuations. I think you should be fine as long as nothing gets to cold. Slow gradual changes nothing to quick, lesson the shock. Good Luck.

awesome, thanks a lot for ur advice! Just wondering what I should do with the coral since they are attached to the rock. Do they go in the buckets as well? Or should I try and bag them like I will the fish?

Do a bucket, and make sure that the rock is seated in the bucket where it is not allowed to roll back and forth as it can crushed your coral.

I agree that all should be fine in a bucket as long as the temp stays close. You can always use blankets and such for going around the bucket for insulation. If the rocks are small enough you can always bag them if it makes you feel better. Most stuff is really pretty hardy, if it is more delicate take the extra precautions and pack it up properly for the trip.

Back