need advice on green carpet anemone tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
Hi all!

I have a 60 gallon acrylic tank with small koi in it. After the koi move out (soon I hope) I want to dedicate it to a green carpet anemone.

The tank is over 2 feet tall, so I was wondering if a 250 watt halide pendant would be enough (I know water absorbs a lot of the light).

Also, what kind of critters could live with it without harming it or being harmed by it? I believe it is NOT a host anemone, but would a pair of clowns actually get consumed by it? What about Sexy shrimp? Or could a black ribbon eel live under/around it without getting eaten?

Also, how can I keep the tank covered without any more light getting absorbed? A thin glass or acrylic cover or ???? I just don't want excess evaporation to cause mold in the house (there is enough moisture here already).

Also, should I just use a sand bed for it? Any particular type, and thickness? With Live rock or not? if so, how much?

Sorry about such a lengthy question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

the halide should be enough light, a pair of clarkii 's will host it. they have a very powerful sting and basically any other fish that touches it will be eaten. this was a very expensive lesson for me the sexy shrimp mite be ok i would stay away from ribbon eels altogether, porcaline crabs are cool but may compete with the clowns for the anenome

i'm not an anemone expert, but i've always seen ocellaris clowns or true percs host carpet anemones in the wild.
watch out for your other fishes because i've heard sometimes they might eat them.
i believe they need some sort of sand bed, but not sure.
i'm sure with the lighting you got it'll be fine :) .
don't forget to post a picture :)

i had a pair of oc's and they wouldn't go any where near the carpet. the clarkii's took right to it though. i would go with the clarks they will host anything

Back