Need advice on UV Sterilizers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skozzy1

I have been having a problem with green hair algae.
I do realize that improving source water quality is fundamental, but will a Uv filter help with this problem.

The thing is, I will be building a new house soon and I want to wait till I have my custom tank maintenance room built before I go too crazy with all the components just yet.
So I need temp fix for this problem.
Also I have some SPS and I dont want to affect them either.

Uv won't be a major help for string algae. It helps for green water and bacteria in the water. Reducing nutrients is the best way to starve string algae.

I agree. The UV Sterilizer will only kill/mame what passes through it. It doesn't do much to control hair algae. Try and determine the source of your nutrients. Are you using RO/DI, skimming, water changes, what foods, how much are you feeding, etc. Sometimes hair algae can be a real pain to get rid of, but if you keep at it, you will win!

I do realize that improving source water quality is fundamental, but will a Uv filter help with this problem.

That's the key there...Improving water quality:) The UV sterilizer as suggested, will only kill what free floating algae spores pass under the UV light, but other than that, will not help much. I'd pass on spending the extra money for a UV that won't benefit you all that much. :)

Back