need bulkheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
Does anyone know where I can find bulkhead fittings for a 1-78" hole?
I need 6 of them and right away.

Thanks to Mike at Oceans By Design, I was able to find all the needed bulkheads.

The story is, on Sunday morning a friend called me and told me her 240 gallon reef was leaking a lot. Water was pouring out of a bottom seam. My guess was about 1 gallon every 10 minutes, maybe faster.
It was a beautiful full blown mixed reef.
She also put out a call for help on FB.
I got over there at 9:30 and left for home at around 5pm.
We had 4-5 people volunteer to help move fish and corals into bins.
Another person donated a 250 gallon tank and stand.
3 of us went up and picked up the tank and stand.
The only issue was the tank had 9 holes drilled in it for closed loop pumps with no bulkhead fittings.
I assumed the role of getting the tank in usable condition to use as a emergency holding tank.
I went over at 8:30 yesterday and my friend and I went to 5-6 stores before finding the right bulkheads and plumbing supplies.
I left at 4:30 after a quick ( very cold) freshwater test and tank draining.
New warm water and salt was being added then.
When I left 3 new volunteers had shown up. I'm glad as I was exhausted.
I'm going over this morning to help transfer what remains of her live stock to the tank. There have been some tragic losses, especially with some fish she has had for a very long time.
Those of you that know her and have helped or called with support, Thank-you very much.

Oh man, makes my stomach sick just thinking about this. I don't know her but please tell her I'm sending good mojo her way and condolences for her losses.
Thank you Marty and thank everyone else who helped.
Got me thinking about how one would go about preparing for something like this. Especially without having fellow reef friends living around to help! Hmmmmm......

Last edited:
After 3 days, I think we finally got a fairly stable tank set up to house the corals and fish.

There were a few fish lost due to getting put in plastic bins. Part of the problem is all of this happened in a very low heat basement area, then our night time temps dropping into the low 20's and teens.
Few corals didn't make it and a few anemones are not looking good, but all in all it was a community effort and everything should do better now.

I Ve had several full blown tank emergencies over the years...they are SO damn stressful. I can't agree though managing these incidents w/o help can be SO much worse. Glad you could round up a group that quickly. I'd say a round of beers is DEFINATELY in order.

GS

And now the fun part.
My friend is trying to decide on a new tank. Hopefully it will be a custom tank with lots of mods.

Back