Need Chiller suggestions for a 325 g reef system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I want to replace my 1/2 hp Oceanic in line chiller with something bigger for my 325 g system. That chiller is only rated up to a 200 g tank so undersized for my tank.
I have to use an in line chiller.

I was looking at the 1 hp Oceanic but I don't like the 90 degree elbows that come out from the intake and outlet compression gaskets because I have a tight spot for the plumbing and would like the gaskets to be fitted with a straight nipple which isn't a standard fitting and you can't get it from Oceanic

I am looking at the Aqua Logic Delta Star 1/2 HP chiller with temp controller.
Advice?

I ran the "pacific coast CL-650 1/4hp chiller (rated for 180) on my 500G system with 3x400w MH without problems and remember Class Clown running the same on his 350G system. Class clown upgraded to a bigger chiller (1/2hp) and felt it wasnt worth the money for the upgrade.

What exactly is the problem with your current chiller? Does it not work or does it run all day and into the night?

It has been running pretty much all day but shutting down at night for the past year and I found that even last summer when temps got high I still have to use fans.
Part of the issue now is that I am concerned that I don't have the flow running through it correctly and am unsure as to how to adjust it properly. My current plumbing is wonky and even though I do have a diverter on the intake I am not sure how much flow is really getting to the unit - is it running through there so fast that it doesn't have time to cool? Or am I not getting enough flow through there? The coils were completly frosted over before I changed the temp settings on the cooler and heaters.

I am going to replace all of the plumbing here in the next 2 weeks with a streamlined design. The current plumbing is a nightmare with glued PVC and way too few unions and turnoffs. You cannot clean it.
I also want to add some in line flow meters.
I am also going to replace my Goby return pump because the guy that set it up put the air cooling grid side right up against the side of the sump, impeding air flow and making it impossible for me to get the dust out. Its a nightmare waiting to happen. I will use it as my back up. As I have learned more about my system by doing the maintenence on it I realize how many things are just plain wrong. Ignorance is bliss until something goes terribly wrong.

So I am looking for a chiller that is capacity rated and flow rated for my system and I would also like the its intake and outflow lines to have a straight nipple rather than the 90 degree angle of the Oceanic's. I have limited space for the unit and need it to sit right under the current tank feed line because I've had to use PVC rather than flex hose. When we first set the Oceanic up we tried using clear flex hose and it collapsed.

I will look at the Pacific Coast chiller and appreciate you advice.

Another question - I posted it earlier... since I am replacing all the plumbing on my existing tank within an 8 hour time period do I need to worry about any toxins leeching into my water from the PVC cement? And if so, is there a way around it?

Another question - I posted it earlier... since I am replacing all the plumbing on my existing tank within an 8 hour time period do I need to worry about any toxins leeching into my water from the PVC cement? And if so, is there a way around it?

No, you dont have to worry about nuking your tank. Ive reworked plenty of PVC and pressurized the plumbing within minutes of glueing the joint without problems and know plenty of others who have as well. Its always a good idea to run fresh carbon afterward and have a WC ready though.

Let me ask, is your chiller in your tank stand? Seem odd to me that your chiller would have to run much at all in the winter time. Somethings creating ALOT of heat in your system.

Thanks, I cleaned the chiller up and raised the set point and then turned my heaters down. So far it hasn't turned on again. I will see how it does when it warms up. The other concern about room for the plumbing has been resolved too. I still may get a bigger chiller but I'm good for now. I hadn't heard of Pacific Coast so I will check them out as well.

And thank you for giving me peace of mind on the PVC glue.

Back