Need Clam Help ASAP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

07FocusST

OK, so I have a 2"-3" Derasa Clam that I have had for about 3 months now. It has been housed in my 24G aquapod since it was purchased. I recently purchased some Cerith Snails (that hide in the sand bed) and introduced them to my tank. Last night I noticed that my clam has its mantle pulled into its shell and one of the clams was actually in the shellll.

I quickly removed the snail and moved the clam over to my 55G that is more established and houses a 5" derasa. I noticed this morning that I can see the "skin" has seperated from inside the shell but still holds its color just fine. I can see its siphon moving around and the clam reacts to shadows by quickly closing and then re opening.

I just read today that clams around the 3" and smaller need supplemental help since the zoo algae inside of it that helps it photosynthesis isn't fully working yet. So here is what I am thinking could have caused this situation:

1. Cerith Snails irritated, stressed and possibly harmed the clam

2. Since I got the snails to sift the sand bed they may have caused a Nitrate/Ammonia Spike?

3. I recently stopped using Oysterfeast since I ran out and am now using Acrticpods instead.

4. The 150w MH Sunpod (18" above AP) is too much for the smaller Derasa.

5. Flow too high in AP? (Koralia 2 pointing at surface towards false bulkhead overflow).

I am going to try and give it a freshwater bath for 20 minutes (according to online research) and see if that works. I noticed that after I added Purple Up to to the 55G it is now staying in the color started to come back.

BTW my 55G has 216w T5HO and a slower flow than the AP24. I am looking for advice on what to do.

i would stop doing everything all together

freshwater baths are bad IMO....

did you mean one of the snailes was in the shell of the clam?
stop, stop stop.... everything dont touch anything keep your hand outta the tank.

couple of points, stop doseing your tank with oysterfeast..(unless your feeding a fish that eats that specifically)
stop use of purple up all together from now till ever,

your light is rather high from the surface of your water... but the color of your clam and coral will tell you whether its to high or not,

small clams do not need anything different then big clams,

cerith snails aren't known for sifting, how'a about some pictures? of your clam and snails

Yes, one of the snails somehow managed to get inside the shell on top of the clam itself. I bought the snails from a LFS and was told they were Cerith Snails... I have many snails but they don't look or act like Ceriths... I really think the little punk at the store doesn't know what he's talking about. I am 99.9% sure the are Nassarius Snails.

Oysterfeast is for all my zoo's, my RBTA, Frogspawn and the Clam itself. I use it in all my tanks... No problem there. I am know what works for me and what doesn't. Oysterfeast is a nice product until I find something better, and I have been using Purple Up since.... god knows when... Never a problem with any of my 3 tanks.

As for the light being so high, 18" seems reasonable and all my Zoos, RBTA and frogspawn love it. The clam was on the sand in case you were wondering.

I can get a couple pictures....

"Last night I noticed that my clam has its mantle pulled into its shell and one of the clams was actually in the shell"

Sadly this pretty much tells me that there is about a 99% chance that the clam is already dead. The snail can taste the dying tissue and is attracted to it as a scavenger. Your attempts at filling all the clams needs are admirable but they are very hard to keep and really do not belong in a nano. They like stability and this is near impossible in a nano.

Find small tougher fish and easy corals until the tank is very mature or you get a bigger one. Small fish as in not necessarily juvenile, but fish that stay small. Little gobys, blennies, and the like. We have a clam forum here, perhaps you can ask to have the thread moved there and other's can give other opinion.

BTW, I forgot that I did end up lowering the MH to 12" off the AP. Not too sure whats up with my RBTA, he does that sometimes. It will be fine. I think its cause I just added Brightwell Aquatics Reef Biofuel & MicroBacter7. I tested some basic parameters a little while ago, here are the results:

Temp: 76.4
SG: 1.026
PH: 8.2
NO2: 0 ppm Nitrite
NO3: 15 ppm Nitrate
NH3/4: 0 ppm Ammonia

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

Last edited:
those are nassarious spelling is way off on that for the snails . not ceirths! ceriths will stay more on rocks and glass then sand. those should not harm the clam unless already dieing as Fishyfishy stated . but seems like the clam is on it's way to clam heaven osrry for the loss. but in a smaller tank clams are harder to maintain not that they are not allowed but clams are real sensative to fast changes as in a smaller tank your sg can change with out an ATO. temp along with other issues lights seem to be ok even with height I have my light a good 18-20 inches off my tank also no issues.

That clam is dead...

I dont want to blast u for ur foolish reply, just a simple observastion shows that u do not know your tank as good as u think.
Sorry for the bad news

First off there is NOTHING foolish about asking question. It appears your lacking some know how. My advice is to slow way down and learn a little more before buying clams. Stop adding snake oils and get your N down to 0.

Don

Sorry to hear of your loss. Many of us have lost clams as they are VERY difficult. Best kept in a stabile mature larger tank with PERFECT conditions.

Keep the chin up and be thankful your other stuff is doing fine.

Back