Need help picking drill for use with diamond bits.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gordonious

As the title states I need to pick out a drill that I can use to drill holes in glass. I already have the drill bits I need, but I have a feeling my little battery operated 9.6V "skil drill" which is basicly an electic screw driver will not do the job. I don't have a lot of experience with power tools. Comments? Suggestions?

Jonathon

If you are just going to need one for this one project you might just want to rent one from a rental place. If you are going to buy one, the corded ones are cheaper than the cordless. Either way you want a variable speed so you can control the cut better.

the truth is the one you have will work fine as you dont need torque and speed will work fine the hole will only drill as fast as the glass and bit will let you and patience is your best bet slow preassure medium speed and keep the glass cool ... worst case you may need to charge you battery inbetween holes or twice for one hole either way the glass needs time to cool unless you are using a clay dam and a cooling solution.

If you are just going to need one for this one project you might just want to rent one from a rental place. If you are going to buy one, the corded ones are cheaper than the cordless. Either way you want a variable speed so you can control the cut better.

Agreed I'd just get a decent middle of the road corded drill. A decent drill will last a lifetime. Cheap drills are disposable and your little drill driver is not made to run for long periods without burning the motor.

Don

I think I am going to drill threw an old broken 10g tank I have using the drill I have then try out drilling a couple of 10gs I wanted to drill. I have a friend who has offered to let me borrow his drill and I think I may just do that for the large tanks.(40 breeders)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Have any more input I would appriciate it.
Jon

If you are just drilling 10-gal tanks, I would suggest finding somebody with a drill press. Easy to get uniform pressure, etc.

Also, I prefer to drill glass with the surface to be drilled in a flat, horizontal position. Then I make a dam of modelling clay around where the hole will be, and I put water in the dam. This keeps the cutting edge (as well as the glass) cool, and also helps wash out the fines produced by the drilling. With a drill press, one hand applies feed pressure while the other hand uses a water bottle to add additional cooling water as necessary.

10 gallon tanks are harder to drill than larger tanks. The glass is so thin that it will break very easily. If you can use a drill press with a wooden table that supports the other side of the glass and go slow. You have to be very careful when the bit breaks through the glass, since many times the bit is a little thicker just after the end, so when it cuts through you can push it into the hole and end up catching and cracking the tank.

Kim

Back