Need Help: T5/T6 Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

I would like to add actinic lighting to my 375g display, but I need some advice.

I have narrowed my decision to the following kits:

1. Sunlight Supply Ready Kit (2x39w) with bulbs. They use Giesemann T5 bulbs. I am familiar with their quality. The lowest price I can find on them is $149.00 from reefgeek.com

2. Odyssea Dual T6 Lighting (2x39w)
This vendor's price is $44.90. I am unfamiliar with the quality of the odyssea bulb.

The purpose of the actinics is for aesthetic only. I have a couple LPS corals that their color would "pop" with the actnics on.

Which would you choose??

Kirk

LOL well your talking a 100$ difference LOL~
Get what you can afford if it is mainly for aesthetics, I wouldn't worry about it but If you could I'd prefer the T5's but Is it really necessary?

Thanks. This is going to be one of the last items I add to the tank. I am in the process of slowly adding fish to the tank. A pair of Golden Butterflies and a Majestic angel are on the "buying block" right now. :D

Kirk

Well I'd like to see the pics of those when you get them, good luck. I myself will be downsizing my large fish for smaller ones, easier to keep up IMO! I just may be lazy that way LOL!

Me too. :D

I have been trying for the last month to get an order from the Red Sea. Appears Red Sea fish are only on the list once every 3-4 months this time of year.

The LFS that I plan on getting them from is supposed to be getting an order next week, hopefully, my Xmas present will come true. LOL..

Well that was what I was wondering because fish like that may take a while to get. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though!

I dont know of many places that sell or companies that make actinic t6 bulbs. Your choices will be pretty limited unfortently, but for 2/3rds off...

Well T6 has been around a while but not in the reefing community but I'm sure you can dig some up when needed!

I would have to use a 2 pin configuration T6 bulb.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=403

I can get a pack of 4 for $23 versus paying $23 for one ATI or Geismann bulb.

My first initial reaction is "how good is the quality". However, you cannot beat the price.

I purchased a 130w PC from aquatraders for my 37g eclipse at work and they do the job as I just have fish at the moment.

I just want to make sure that the actinic bulbs I get do not cause an algae bloom.

Kirk

If your using these as supplementals to your real lighting then your not concerned for the extra power or lighting, so that would be a reason to go cheap on this equipment. As far as a bloom, the regular lights should be powerful enough to wash out these for the most part excluding the color additive you'll get with these, so I wouldn't suspect a bloom just because you added these lights, I could be wrong though.

Scooty,

Thanks for the reply and confirmation. My regular lights for the record are 2x250w XM MH lights.

Kirk

Well the question is what were the bulbs manufactured for? Bulbs that are made for reef tanks generally have spectral peaks that enchance coral color. I don;t know any t6's manufacturers that make a bubl intended fora reef tank.

I tried calling aquatrader support line to ask if they knew the nanometer rating for their actinic bulbs (ie, 430nm). They had no idea. (and I got the feeling they had no idea what a nanometer was) :):)

I am going to call them again tomorrow and hopefully get another support person on the phone who might know.

Kirk

"The Ultimate Reef Lamp produces 5 distinct peak emissions in the purple, blue, green, orange and red spectrums"

Doesnt sounds like a reef bulb to me =P Sounds like a regular bulb put into reef packaging. I also doubt their claim of 5 peaks. I have specterally analyzed 4 different t5 bulbs as well as looking up many spectral graphs of other bubls online. They all have 1 to 3 distinct spectral peaks, not 5. 5 is what you get from metal halide.

What does it matter if your just wanting aesthetics anyway?

Well if your buying a bulb unit to add actinic supp, and there is only one t6 actnic bulb on the market, then what do you do if you don't like the color they produce? To some blue is blue. To the vast majoirty however, getting the right blue/purple color is important. IF you only have one choice for color, then you are SOL if you don't like it.

Jezzeaepi,

To answer your question. The manufacturer of the bulb is Odyssea which I believe is a reef bulb.

Back