Need help with a new setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scummy

Hello all, new to the forum. I was given a 200g FOWLR tank that was not running a protein skimmer. I would like to set it up as a reef tank and I guess my question is if there are any economical skimmers that are recommeded. My budget is around $350 or so.

Thanks,
scummy

I would agree that's a good option. Skimmerwhisperer or Luke33 will chime in with more information, I'm sure. They're the skimmer gurus here on RF. BTW, welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Keep in mind that since it was set up as a Fish only. It's probably pretty high in nutrients right now. You will need to really get the nitrates down before adding any corals. Oh, one more thing....get pics!! We love pics.

I would agree that's a good option. Skimmerwhisperer or Luke33 will chime in with more information, I'm sure. They're the skimmer gurus here on RF. BTW, welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Keep in mind that since it was set up as a Fish only. It's probably pretty high in nutrients right now. You will need to really get the nitrates down before adding any corals. Oh, one more thing....get pics!! We love pics.

Thanks for the inputs. I am basicly starting over. There weren't very many fish so I put them into my 55 FOWLR. I had to get new sand because the stuff that was in it before had gone bad from being out of the tank too long. All of the live rock that was in it is being cured in tubs in my garage. It was about a week that the tank was broken down before I was told to come and get it.

There are probably built up nitrates and phosphates in the rock since it was a FO system. You could dose a carbon source in the curing tanks to try and get some of the nutrients to leach out of the rock and be removed by the skimmer.

Back