Need help with auto top off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I just bought a JBJ ATO contoller.
I planned on using one sensor in my sump and the other in a makeup water barrel.
Unfortunely the distance between them is too great. the leads from the ATO are only about 4-1/2' each for a total of 9'. The distance between the sump and the "only" place I can put a water container is about 16'.
I can use the ATO to give me a high water mark and a low water mark in the sump.
But I now would like a single sensor controller to place in the makeup water container to make sure the powerhead shuts off when the container empties.

Where can I find something that is cheap but effective?

I don't know if that would be an option?
Is there low voltage going from the sensor that goes in the water to the controller. Will the voltage that is used for the 4.5' wire be enough if I add 5'-6' of wire to each sensor.
I just don't know?

Yeah...Some of those things are calibrated to a particular length. It may throw it off if you lengthen it or even shorten. I agree with Matt on checking with Don. If he has no idea, then you will probably have to call up the manufacturers. Good luck Martin:)

I'm not sure if the voltage drop would be to much or not.

It's just completing a circuit and it would depend if the control is configured to only accept a certain voltage range. I really don't think there that high tech.

Maybe Don knows..

Isn't this they way somethings just go. You plan and plan, but leave out one small detail and the whole plan goes to sh*t :)

Just hack the wires and solder in some extensions if thats what you want to do. Using a double switch on the jbj is kind of a waste since they have a built in timer. Except if your pump can overfill the sump before the timer shuts off. In this case a double switch is the only way to go. Make sense?

Don

Just hack the wires and solder in some extensions if thats what you want to do. Using a double switch on the jbj is kind of a waste since they have a built in timer. Except if your pump can overfill the sump before the timer shuts off. In this case a double switch is the only way to go. Make sense?

Don

I don't need to worry about a voltage drop?
I'm think about using a small maxi-jet.
Thanks.

I don't need to worry about a voltage drop?
I'm think about using a small maxi-jet.
Thanks.

Nope, the resistance will barely change. Just make sure that the mj does not over fill the sump before the timer shuts it off. The timer is the failsafe for the single float switch. Test it by holding down the float and let it attemp to flood. If it is to fast then slow the flow. Honestly with the ac transformer on the same board as the electonics I would'nt be to comfortable with the jbj.

Don

Back