Need help with Chiller Info

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Daniel Murray

Diver Madness
Hi I am looking in buying a TradeWind 1/3HP Drop-In Chiller w/ Controllerer.
My Tank water at the bottom is 85*. 91* at the top.
My Tank is 180 gallons
I only have a couple of ?

#1 My Tank heats up my family room this time of year quit a bit. You can really feel the warmer temp when you come in to this room.
I do no the chiller will lower the tank temp.
#2 But will it help lower the room temp since the water temp will be around 72 to 75*
Or will the heat exchange coming from the chiller keep the room temp up?
Thanks for any info on this.

Have any one use TradeWind Chillers?

Hey Daniel! I just got my chiller about a month ago. My temp fluctuated from 80-85F. I added some fans and made a few changes and was able to keep my temp between 80-82F. I still ended up getting the chiller and set it to 80F with a 2 degree swing setting. As a result, the chiller in the beginning only would cut in every 15-20 minutes or so for about 1 1/2 minutes. Now, with the warm summer days approaching, it has been the total opposite turning on every 2 minutes and running for about 15 to as much as 30 minutes at a time! It was during this time, I noticed the chiller started warming up the room and causing just as much harm as good. I eventually had to lower the room temp a bit more and things are pretty much back to normal. So my point is, it all depends on how long your chiller runs for during each cycle and how far apart the cycles spaced. At 1 1/2 minutes every 15 minutes, the chiller didn't affect the rooms temp any for me, but when it was reversed, that was another story...HTH and best of luck:)

The short answer to your question is that the chiller brings down the temp of the tank and that energy and heat gets spilled over into the room the chiller is in. Some people create ventilation or run the chiller outside. I personally have a fan that is in the same corner as the chiller and it blows the hot air generated outside.

Mat

The short answer to your question is that the chiller brings down the temp of the tank and that energy and heat gets spilled over into the room the chiller is in. Some people create ventilation or run the chiller outside. I personally have a fan that is in the same corner as the chiller and it blows the hot air generated outside.

Mat

To an extent, that is pretty much it, but it really all depends on how long the chiller runs for and how big the room is. Like I said with mine, running for only 1 1/2 minutes every 15 minutes made no difference in the room temp at all. Only when it was reversed, it made a difference in the room. Yes, it would be better to put the chiller in a seperate room if you can, but if you can't, no worries once the chiller isn't going to be running for a couple of minutes at a time, every 2 minutes or so, but then again, I use a 1/10hp chiller and a different brand so it may be different...:)

Last edited:
Thank you, for you help I hope this can help. my room size is 28x36 celling is 15'
I keep my house at 72* to 74* in the summer and 70* in the winter.
But I do not have to worry on the temp in the winter it is all ways about 74*.
My Chiller will have to go under my computer desk.

even running a fan will add some heat to the room. if you feel a motor when its running it is warm or hot, this heat has to go somewhere, so if you run it inside thats where the heat goes. anytime you do work (like cooling water or moving air) there is always heat generated because nothing is 100% efficient, and there also is always some energy lost to friction,etc. if you can put the chiller outside in the shade it will be more efficient and wont add heat to the room. the other way to deal with it is duct air from outside to the chiller and then exhaust air back outside with a fan and another duct.

I have seen the tradewin chiller in LA. A number of wholesalers use them. I am going to acquire a 1/2HP Aqualogic dropin for my 300 gal. The Tradewind and aqualogic seem similar. A number of local stores claim that the aqualogic are the more reliable. But, that is heresay, not necessarily facts. The real big decision is dropin verse inline. I have never seen any facts that support either, just opinions. I like the dropin (I currentlyhave an aquametic) because there are no additional pumps and plummer to complicate the installation.

With a drop-in chiller, you won't be able to locate the chiller in another room... so your best bet would be to provide very good air circulation to help disapate the heat that your chiller does generate.

Thanks for the info. Right now I am using frozen plastic bottles. I need to use the drop in because of lack of space. I have a lot going on in and around my tank.

Back