need help with float switchs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefman069

want more mini maxi
well i have been haveing alot of trouble with the float switches that i have. they keep shorting out and over flowing my sump with fresh water. i would like to buy the double float switch set up. where do you buy them, or who makes them. please help. thanks chad

Lots of options out there.

Reefwerks Undiy, basic two float ato (mine)
Jbj dual mode ato, good product
Reef Fanatic, good can be found on ebay from the real maker for much less
Aquahub diy kits, these are diy
Auto top off .com, dont buy without the lowvoltage upgrade
Tunze osmolator, top of the line
Spectra pure, good product way over priced
Fish bowl inovations, again can be found by the real maker on ebay for less

These are just a few. From basic to feature filled from $40 to $200, you just need to know what features your after and of course what your budget is.

Don

If I had to do it again I would go with one of Don's setups. I had two short out (I had a second safety float both times so no real damage.). Finally figured out you needed to have a tube over the top of your float switch as they apparently are not water tight so if the tops are ever submerged they get water inside them and corrode.

The big issue with float switches (read the data sheets) is that they are not designed to switch inductive loads (motors etc). The reason is simple. Reed switches use a fine leaf contact that can be pulled by a magnet. Inductive loads always cause a small park each time the switch makes or breaks. eventually, this burns the gold contacts away and the contacts weld themselves together. The leaf doesnt have the strength to break the weld and so the switch remains closed and you have a flood.

The answer is fairly simple. Go to your electronics store or net and purchase a solid state relay.....it realy needs to be solid state as the ordinary relays are also inductive. Use the switch to active the relay which will then feed the pump and you will have a very reliable system. For belt and braces, use a second switch about half an inch higer than the first (no more or the first switch could become submerged). both switches can be wired in series to the relay so there is no need for 2 relays.

It sounds complicated, but its really easy to do and you will have just about the best system that money can buy and it will cost you peanuts.

Ultralife Float Switch

I use the Ultralife Float Switch $59.99 at Marine Depot. It has been running for a couple years with a Mag 5 attached.
The only thing you need to do is clean the inside of the barrel float and the pickup rod it rides on about every 6 months.

Description
This float switch will operate for high water or low water applications. This can be achieved by simply removing the retaining ring and turning the barrel float upside down. This switch can handle multiple pumps with a combined amperage draw of up to 10 amps. Each switch comes with a 6ft grounded cord and suction cup mounting for the switch. This float switch can save you from burning out that expensive pump or can be used for water top off.

I agree with Karnivor. I was blowing float switches weekly until I set up the relay system. I basically copied the plans from aquahub.com and purchased all of the equipment (relay, relay base and DC transformer) from radioshak. It ended up being about the same price as aquahub.com. So if you need it now....radioshak; if you can wait, purchase the premium top-off kit as it includes everything (two switches and mounting brackets). Good luck.

Back