Need Help with ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Recalibrate

Hi, just set up my pico and noticed I got what I believe is some kind of polyp (I'm new to reefing). Anyone able to shine a light on what this little guy is or might be?

Its really hard to tell on my phone but it looks like aiptasia, which is a pest.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Oh, I hope you are wrong but at least there is just this one so I could get rid of it easily. Thanks pandora...I'll try to get a better one today but I just have my iPhone for a camera.

Hmm, would it be a bad idea to let it populate a little and then be able to have a Berghia Budibranch? Though I dont know how quickly they eat and if it would wipe the population out faster than the aiptasia could reproduce...

Hi new here myself but, that is Aiptasia and you don't want it to populate at all! Peppermint Shrimp have been known to eat it but I never have personally seen them do it.

Peppermints will eat them , well some will. I got lucky and got 4 peppermints for my 34 gal and they got rid of them. But in the past I got peppermints that just waited to eat the fish food. Lazy peppermints I guess.

Thanks everyone for helping ID it and the suggestions of ways to get rid of it. The rock is out of the tank and it has been cleaned, letting it dry, then going to soak in RO/DI water, then let it dry again and finally I'll put it back in the tank. Hopefully it didn't spread to my large rock in a spot that I can't see but time will tell.

If you have one aptasia, better to do overkill imo.

I use a syringe and air tubeing and inject kalk into their hiding place (with flow off.) Wait 5-10 minutes, then vacuum out, watching the line to see if the aptasia comes out.

I was going to suggest tossing the rock if it was small, but what you did should nuke it pretty well. You don't want to pull it off of scrape it off in the tank though, because then you will have tons of aptasia

Back