Need ID on these white spots

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surf_buddy

Does anyone know what these white dots are... :confused: They seem to have shells are are hard to the touch. Are they baby snails or something worse? Thanks for any help!

I know they are hard to shoot... they're about the size of a sesame seed. I recently bought these colorful little nerite snails, and I just googled images for them, so I'm thinking that's what they are now. If so, I'm happy because they are doing a great job keeping my reef clean!

There these little spiral worms. Not vermitid, no biggie. Only thing they can do is annoy and can scratch the glass if you get one stuck inbetween a scraper. But they aren't going to harm anything. They don't move either.

Did you have any Nerite snails? Could be another snail egg, but I have those too and I believe they started when I got the zebra nerites. BTw, you should come check out the tank again sometime soon!

Peace,
Jesse

Did you have any Nerite snails? Could be another snail egg, but I have those too and I believe they started when I got the zebra nerites. BTw, you should come check out the tank again sometime soon!

Peace,
Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Yeah I recently got Nerite snails, and a week later this is going on. I looked up "nerite smail eggs" on google images, and mine look exactly the same from other websites. Everyone's suggestions helped me to narrow it down too. PM me if your available this week... It would be great to swing by and see how it all doing.

Mitch

I'd bet they are calcium deposits... I had some in my system for a while as well until my SPS started taking off. Have they moved any?

I'd bet they are calcium deposits... I had some in my system for a while as well until my SPS started taking off. Have they moved any?

They don't move, and they look like they have a white shell with a cream footing. Here's a better pic I found online. Mine look exactly like the ones pictured here. I thinking it is not calcium deposits since my levels have been consistently 400-425, and my SPS are doing great. Oh... and if anything I have a coraline nuisance problem, but that is another thread. Do you have pics for comparison? Thanks!

Here's a pic of what I had - I was dosing Kent Marine Calcium at the time - without a test kit, so I was probably overdosing :) And my Coraline was outta this world all over my back glass... now there's barely any coraline, and no spots left

Snail.jpg

Hmmm... crazy mine look just like those too. Did you ever have nerite snails? I've never had Ca deposits in the past with the level my Ca is at now so I'm super confused now. The only thing that has changed is the addition of the snails. I'm going to try to make it over to jezzeaepi's today before the snow hits and see what he has going on for comparison... and to check out his reef.

There these little spiral worms. Not vermitid, no biggie. Only thing they can do is annoy and can scratch the glass if you get one stuck inbetween a scraper. But they aren't going to harm anything. They don't move either.

+1 I agree with this reply most.

I have had nerite snails - don't remember if I had them at the time the spots were appearing, but I don't think I've every had more than 10 of them at a time - and these spots were EVERYWHERE in my 90.

Those would have had to have been some very busy snails :)

Thanks for showing me your tank today Jesse... it's looking GREAT! I'm now 100% sure these are nerite snail eggs, and thanks to everyone else who offered their opinions too.

Back